Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Whither Ruben Amaro?

It's Memorial Day, and in memory of the 1966 team it's time to point out that after 48 games, they were 22-25-1. We are currently 23-25. I'd say we're well on the way to equaling the Great Collapse, even if our current collapse has been slower and more of a constant, debilitating, dull kind of pain as opposed to the sharp, quick, shiv-in-the-ribs kind of pain felt in 1966.

I just saw the best play of the season at third base and it was pulled off by Ronald Torreyes. He was lauded as a great find in the utility infielder role yesterday by somebody or other on the Yankees radio or TV network (Kenny and John are currently doing it again today.), but this play does make you wonder why he isn't in the lineup every day. Oh, wait, he's not signed to a long-term, gazillion-dollar contract...never mind.

Something went wrong with the type here, but it's Memorial Day weekend and I can't be bothered. Besides, we're a mediocre team, why seek perfection in blog posts? Cashman wouldn't care, neither would Hal.

There's an article in the Times today about marriage and taking a more realistic view thereof, since there is no such thing as a truly perfect match. It contains this line, which seems appropos for Yankees fans this year:

"Choosing whom to commit ourselves to is merely a case of identifying which particular variety of suffering we would most like to sacrifice ourselves for."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'M WATCHING TODAY, AND WE HAVE 0 HITS AFTER 5 INNINGS, AND LOSING 1-0...... I CAN'T STAND THIS SHIT ANYMORE, I CAN'T.......... JAKE ODORIZZI IS TODAY'S HALL OF FAME PITCHER WHO WE CAN'T TOUCH..... I AM TELLING YOU, THIS IS DOWNRIGHT OUTRAGEOUS THAT THE FUCKING NEW YORK YANKEES HAVE PUT A TEAM TOGETHER LIKE THIS.... HICKS CAN'T HIT.....HEADLEY CAN'T HIT.... ACKLEY CAN'T HIT.... GREGORIOUS ISN'T ANYTHING CLOSE TO SPECIAL (IN THE FIELD OR AT BAT)..... WE HORRIBLY OVERPAID FOR ELLSBURY..... STEPHEN DREW HIT .205 LAST YEAR.... THE PINEDA TRADE WAS NOT A "WIN' FOR US, HE SUCKS...... WE TOSSED AWAY JUSTIN WILSON, AND NOW WE HAVE A GAPING, MONSTROUS HOLE, IN REGARDS TO OUR 6TH INNING RELIEVERS.... CASTRO IS COMING BACK DOWN TO EARTH..... IT IS UNBELIEVABLE THAT THE ARCHITECT OF ALL OF THIS HAS NO CHANCE OF BEING FIRED, UNBELIEVABLE.

Parson Tom said...

Ruben Amaro! Talk about a shortstop who couldn't hit the ball past the infield. He made Horace Clarke look like a slugger.

joe de pastry said...

Haven't watched any of the last 5 games. I guess it wasn't just my love for playoff hockey keeping me away from the Bronx Bummers. I just don't care anymore, to quote the Goddess Grimes.

Parson Tom said...

Had to figure what joe de pastry was referencing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNuQmBRB69g

This site is becoming one of those cool places where people toss out cultural references and everybody knows what they're talking about except me.

Of course, I'm entirely willing to talk about the 1966 Yankees. Doesn't much cooler than that.

JM said...

Goddess Grimes stumped me, too, Tom. After a quick listen, I will return to stumpedness.

Anonymous said...

The Yankees just need to re-tool. Except our hardware store is belly-up.

Modern paradox;

When you can't re-tool, how do you re-build? With not a brick or a 2x4 to be found?

joe de pastry said...

Don't know how you figured it out, Tom. I didn't think anybody would bother trying. Saw her at Terminal 5 a few months ago. Pretty sure I was the oldest person [70 in October] there.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...

I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.