Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Open Letter To Hal Steinbrenner



Dear Hal;

Thank you for your encouraging words to the team the other day.  Your version of fire and brimstone is an excellent sleeping aid.

I wonder if you might find some stronger verbal incentives to motivate those who work for you, if you paid some attention to what is happening to the Yankee Brand, as you pursue mediocrity in the press and on the field.

Here is my idea;  buy a New York newspaper and read the sports section.

To prove my sincerity, I bought one for you.  Today, for $1.25,  I purchased a copy of The Daily News.  This used to be a decent tabloid, with excellent sports writers.  Now it is a putrid, newsless tabloid, with a decent sports section.  But it still exists in hard copy.

The Mets received:

1.  The back page in color.
2.  5 full pages on the inside.

The Yankees received :

1.  5/6 of an internal page, shared with a story about the Tampa pitcher who got hit in the face with a 92 mph fastball.

2.  The Yankee coverage was an enervating piece on the shitty season Tex is having.  No home
 runs ( for Tex ) in the last 34 days kind of thing.  Negative and boring. A re-hash of what we already knew.

Now hear this:  New York is rapidly and totally converting to a Mets town.  They were in the world series last year.  They will likely be in it again this year.  They are exciting and young.  They can hit, pitch and play defense.

The Yankees have given up the high ground.

The pre-sold season tickets at the stadium will not retain, if the product remains boring and uninspiring.

Like your words of inspiration.

Sincerely,

10 million fans.

8 comments:

KD said...

Still a pain in the ass to get into Queens for a game, however.

el duque said...

Make it 10 million and one!

Anonymous said...

You didn't mention how he lies to the millions of Yankee fans about how competitive the team is and how the World Series remains the goal of the team every year. What, he thinks we're stupid????????

Anonymous said...

10,000,002

Anonymous said...

I GOT THE GAME ON, AND AS BRETT GARDNER FLIES OUT WITH 2 OUTS AND 2 RUNNERS ON, I CAN ONLY THINK OF ALPHONSO'S LAMBASTING OF HIM....... DAMN ACCURATE.

JM said...

Yeah, but what did the Post say?

Stang said...

10,000,003

Isiyku Abdulahi said...

I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.