Friday, Wang's agent, Alan Nero, kissed Cashman's ring and asked nicely for his man to be set free. Cash could have told him to stuff it. Instead, he appreciated all Wang has done for the Yankees, and he delivered the letters of transit, telling a tearful Wang at the airport: Here's to you, kid. Last night, you said I was to do the thinking for both of us. Well, I've done a lot of it since then, and I all adds up to one thing: You're getting on that plane with Melky, where you belong. We'll always have Scranton.
Nero called Cashman a "class act." He's right. Chien-Ming Wang was a great Yankee, and if the organization owes him anything - which it does - it's a chance to get back in the majors, rather than die next to Chris Bootcheck in the stygian blackness of a Moosic coal mine.
That said, Cashman is a juju idiot, a metaphysical dumpling who must have broken more than his foot when he leaped from that plane.
Within hours of releasing Wang to the Jays - (who are by no means out of the AL East race) - this is what happened.
1. The Yankees 4-game winning streak ended, because Hiroki Kuroda has begun to crack.
2. Vidal Nuno - next on Cashman's depth chart - tweaked a gonad. He's likely to hit the DL.
3. Paris Jackson - the next Paris Hilton? - goes to the hospital with a slit wrist.
4. Nelson Mandela - the greatest living Yankee fan - is sick, maybe dying.
5. Two years later, Google is still trying to figure out the societal mechanisms that caused Magic Mike to do so well on its opening release. WTF? Google can't understand the appeal of Matthew McConaughey in Daisy Dukes?
6. Michael Pineda - also ahead of the Wangster - has his first rehab start canceled by rain.
OK, the last one is a doink rain out, but you get the idea: Screw with juju, and you pay a price. It's lucky no one lost an eye.
Every Yankee foresaw a perfect juju ending to the Wang saga: He pitches us to the World Series, with Paris Jackson and Nelson Mandela cheering with Tea Leoni in the owner's box. Now, Wang goes to Toronto. The juju grid has been breached. Cashman better quit the data mining operations and go back to killing some barnyard animals - fast.