CASEY AT THE TWEET
Monday, June 10, 2013
Posted by el duque at 6:42 AM
But rather than taking credit, let's consider other possible reasons behind the Yankee resurgence.
1. Teixeira. He's hit three HRs, but as The Master notes at least once a game, his "presence" in the Yankee lineup is "so important." We have passed resolutions praising Lyle Overbay. But since Tex returned, he's Lyle Afterthought. And playing him in RF isn't going to help. Overbay's time is running out as a Yankee. It's going to sad, but it's going to happen. If what we need is a RF, both Mustelier and Almonte are hitting at Scranton. Only a matter of time.
2. The competition. The YES men marveled at Cleveland's record, but I'm sorry: They didn't look that good, especially after losing their SS. Same with the Mariners. They have Seattle disease. Next up, Oakland, Angels and Dodgers (back in NY) Was it real or Memorex?
3. Roller coaster. We have a pitching staff that can't make up its mind. Sabathia is hot; he could stay that way for a month. Pettitte - God love him - pitches well between tweaks. But Phelps is Jekyll and Hyde. Will his next start be a bomb?
4. Brett the Jet. Lately, Gardner's been on fire, our toughest out. If Gardner hits .260, considering his walks and steals, he's a solid lead off man. If he hits .300, he's an all-star. Right now, he's at .284. (Over .400 for the month.) Curtis Granderson in CF is just a dream.
5. Luck. Yesterday, in the ninth, Mariano put three runners on base. He got out of it. When Mo does that, it's like thunder off in the distance. Then again, luck is juju. And right now, it's on our side. Six out of seven, baby. Six out of seven.