Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Curioser and curioser

The March Soccer blitzkrieg continues.

A huge piece today on the frustrations of yet another French club, Paris Saint-Germain (This translates to, "Paris here saying saintly Germans please don't beat us up again"), and another on the bid to bring the World Cup to North America, which is probably the only way the U.S. men's team will be in it again.

For the local baseballers, just line scores.

What I really don't get is that the Times' wire service copy includes two paragraphs on the Rangers signing Lincecum, and another on "Around the Majors."

In other words, desperate to fill space, they will even throw in out-of-town boilerplate on minor baseball transactions, rather than run so much as a wire service graf on two exciting, hometown wins.

This makes it Soccer 35, Yankees 19, with Soccer bolting into an 8-4 lead in the month of spring training.

5 comments:

Local Bargain Jerk said...


I'm guessing that the NYT Sports Editor (whoever that might be) isn't a baseball fan. Your efforts here make it clear that perhaps it's time for a change...

HoraceClarke66 said...

I think they have quite deliberately made it their thing not to compete with the tabs, and run more offbeat stuff for a national/global audience.

I think thatt's stupid but, hey, it's a marketing decision.

What I don't get, though, is why, even when they run something on baseball, they almost go out of their way not to make it about a New York team. Or, in this case, even about a game.

It's as if they deliberately picked out the least interesting items they could find about baseball, and stuck them in there. Weird!

13bit said...

You’re absolutely certain that you’re not reading the international edition? It’s amazing to contemplate these numbers.

HoraceClarke66 said...

I know. Crazy, huh? But I don't get any closer to the international scene than my apartment doormat.

And it gets worse...

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.