Sunday, March 4, 2018

What would our fan group be?

The Times sports page today provided its usual, Kafkaesque experience.

Boxscore of yesterday's Yanks-Socks game?

Nope.

Score of my local college's basketball game?

Nope.

Anything at all on the Yankees?

Why, yes! A big piece on how all the geese have vanished from their spring training facilities.

The main story was a monstrous article on how the corp bots who run Major League Soccer aren't getting along with the fan groups they encourage, but also fear. One such group with the Red Bulls was penalized, it seems, for dumping a live flare into the family section of an opposing team.

Had a Yankees fan done such a thing in Fenway Park—instead of helpfully assassinating the longtime dictator of Libya—we would now be having a war crimes trial.

But all this did lead me to think:  What would we call our fan group?

These organizations usually have some kind of funky name, followed by "army," or the like.

Would this make us The Online Army? Sterling's Commandos? The Geese Killers Brigade? The Pinstriped Cockroaches?

I'm sure you guys can do better.

In the meantime, the split today (yes, the geese piece counts) makes it:

Soccer 29, Yankees 19 on the year.

Yankees 4, Soccer 2 in March.




15 comments:

13bit said...

Pinstriped Death
Highlander Bat Corps
Yogi's Thugs
The Goose Men
A-Rod's Pink Ponies
Babe's Brigade
The Master and His Minions
The Bat Patrol

Okay, I'm just warming up. Let me fill my stomach with food and cogitate on this a while. Once I get going, you'll be sorry, and I do mean sorry.

13bit said...

Duque's Army
Band of Fried Ravioli
Freddy Fryin Pan Squad (Remember Freddy from the old stadium?)
Cashman Killer Krew
Mariano's Immortals
The Boss's Mortal Minions
FU Patrol
Fenway Wrecking Crew

13bit said...

Stengel's Avengers
Hal's Golden Hammer
Randy's Jockstrap Fumigators (I know this is weak, but I cannot help myself)
Miguel Cairo and the Lost Platoon (okay, I should have quit while I was ahead)
161 Gang
D Train Battalion
It Is High Air Force Command
The Comment Crew Gang (Okay, okay. I'll stop now...)

Local Bargain Jerk said...


A-Rod's Pink Ponies

I saw those once, while inadvertently learning the ins and outs of hash oil and staring at a Yes poster.

HoraceClarke66 said...

These are great!

Mike said...

The Evil Emperors
The Non-Franconas
The Papi-less Children
Those Who Shout Schmerlander
The Anti-Levines
The Cure for Bill Lee
They Who Can Spell "Socks"

Mike said...

The Suzy(n) Cues
The Nearly Imperceptible Before But Now Growing Though Still Dull Pains
The Georg Hackls Of All But Luge
The Second Darrens

(OK...enough silly band name type things...)

Dennis Rasmussen's Defense
The Snatch Cache
Guys George Fired
The Forever Unpurloined
The Retired Numbers

(I know; those are stupid, too...but this is damned fun.)




el duque said...

We might need to set up a poll.

Parson Tom said...

They are high, they are far, they are gone!

Parson Tom said...

And I suppose you could shorten that to:
High, Far and Gone

HoraceClarke66 said...

I'm thinking something along the line of 13bit's D Train, because it would enable us to all make cool, coordinated train sounds every time a rally got started.

But yes, a poll would be great idea!

ranger_lp said...

Yankee Doodlers....

Anonymous said...

A-Rod's Centaurs

I'm kinda partial to Yogie's Thugs, though. Has a real ring to it.

JJ in MA said...

Cash's Kings.
The Tampa Yankees.
IBS Support Group: Bronx Division.
The Save Andujar Foundation.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.