Thursday, March 8, 2018

Squash. Yes, Squash.

That's what the New York Times would rather write about than New York baseball. Big piece on a 15-year-old squash star. From Darien, Connecticut. Plus a piece on how hard it is for local college basketball teams—which the Times generally doesn't cover—to get practice time on the courts.

The only baseball? The Lincecum and Ichiro signings, safely out of town.

True, the Yanks got a box score and a few wire-service lines because they were playing the Mets. But that's it.

Oh, and did you say soccer?? Well, of course there was soccer! A big piece by Rory Smith on Juventus, as in Italy.

And a big pic and some Times copy on the U.S. women's team winning the SheBelieves Cup before rows of empty stands, on an own goal by England.

People, it doesn't get anymore thrilling than that.

Two more for what the rest of the world calls football makes it Soccer 37, Yankees 19 on the year, Soccer 10, Yanks 4 for March.


3 comments:

Parson Tom said...

I'm wondering who decided or how they decided that readers aren't interested in baseball generally and the Yankees in particular. When Hoss started keeping score on this, my reaction was to dismiss it as an anomaly, but he's really on to not just a trend but an apparent policy for the NYT sports page. Did you notice that they also don't have beat reporters for the Knicks or the Nets, picking up wire copy even when the Porzingis wasn't hurt and appeared the Knicks might be a minor contender? I didn't know I was supposed to be more interested in squash, curling and soccer. It might be too late for me to make that change. I guess they're trying to groom the next generation. To quote a Robin Williams character: How richly bizarre.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Thanks, P.T.

Yeah, I find it weird myself. I mean, these days all newspapers are cutting back to save money. But hell, could you at least have the Knicks guy watch the games on TV if you don't want to send him around the country?

Also, they have reporters down at spring training. Why not use them? And hell, they seem willing to send people all the way to England to interview an American for that incredibly dull slog on why the national men's team went to pieces.

I think they think it is funky, or something. This smells of brand-building: "Sports for the non-sports fan!"

I say, let the non-sports fan go read about opera.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.