Saturday, March 3, 2018

Plato's Cave

In my blurry-eyed, Saturday morning stupor today I picked the NY Times off my doorstep and flipped through to the sports section, where I was immediately confronted by a huge picture of a Yankee lashing away at the plate.

Ah, I thought to myself, the Times has discovered Miguel Andujar! Whole columns of adulation and background info were sure to follow.

When I rubbed the rest of the bourbon out of my egelah, though, I saw I was mistaken. It wasn't the New Miggy at all, but our spring oddity, Russell Wilson, striking out.

The caption included the information that the Yanks won the game, but nothing else. There was nothing more in the entire sports section on New York's dominant team. No box score. No mention of Tyler Too's walk-off homer. No speculation over Red Thunder's brain pot or Ellsbury's o-bleak.

It occurs to me that if you got all your Yankees news just from the NY Times' printed sports section, you would be like one of those poor, ignorant bastards in Plato's cave, guessing at the shadow of things outside:

"Oh, we got Russell Wilson? He's playing baseball now? What position is he?"

Still, this counts for an article as far as I'm concerned.  Soccer 28, Yankees 18.

4 comments:

ranger_lp said...

"Oh, we got Russell Wilson? He's playing baseball now? What position is he?"

Left out.

Anonymous said...

THE FAILED NEW YORK TIMES....

FAKE NEWS.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Not fake. Just...weirdly irrelevant, at least when it comes to sports.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.