Monday, March 19, 2018

"Work on your bunting"

I remember reading somewhere in Peter Golenbock's delightful history of the 1949-1964 Yankees, the greatest dynasty in the history of the sport, about how it became a running joke how Deron Johnson couldn't stick with the big team.

Johnson, a power-hitting third baseman, kept doing everything right. At just 19, he had 27 homers for the Triple-A Richmond Virginians.

Nope, not enough. Back Deron went to Richmond, the Scranton of its day, for more "seasoning." He hit another 25 home runs...and didn't even get a cup of coffee on a 1959 Yankees team that had turned in a rare clunker of a season, and was out of it by September.

In 1960, he hit ANOTHER 27, Triple-A homers—though by now, no doubt a bit discouraged, his batting average and OBP both fell off.  The Yanks did bring him up, once they had another pennant wrapped, for all of four at-bats. He had two hits, including a double. Not that that got him anything.

The next spring, Deron was killing it again in spring training, and the Yankees just didn't have a slot for him. They really didn't know what to tell him, and the joke went around the camp that they told him:

"We need you to go down to Richmond again and work on your bunting."

In the end, though, they didn't send him back down again. They traded him to our own personal gulag, the Kansas City Athletics.

In return, we got Bud Daley, a gutsy pitcher with one leg shorter than the other who, as a number-four starter for one of the best hitting teams ever in 1961, went 8-9. The next season, Daley was a useful lug nut in the pen. All in all, he went 18-16 in parts of four seasons in the Bronx.

Deron Johnson took a little bit to right himself. But by 1964, he was the starting third sacker in Cincinnati, and a star. In 1965, he drove in 130 runs, and finished fourth in the MVP voting. As late as 1971, he was still hitting 34 homers for a terrible Phils team, and he was a valuable cog for the 1973, world champion A's, now in Oakland.

Is Andujar our Deron?

I suppose a demotion is what you should expect these days in baseball, when you draw one walk in 42 at-bats, as Miguel did, or when after a very fast start in the spring, you tail off badly.

And yeah, who knows? Maybe Brandon Drury or Manny Machado will prove to be the 2018 equivalent of Clete Boyer, the guy who ultimately beat out Deron Johnson. It's not like Boyer was such a bad option.

But I can't help thinking that we've missed out on something good here. And I dread what we will give up this diamond in the rough for.

Michael Fulmer? Yeah, he has Bud Daley written all over him.

No Soccer, no Yankees, for two days now. It's not like anything just happened.




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the interest of historic accuracy, actually Bud Daley's right arm was shorter than his left (throwing) arm.

13bit said...

We have reverted to the norm after a feint in the direction of the youth movement.

Anonymous said...

GREAT ANALOGY HOSS....

I REMEMBER DERON JOHNSON....

....BUT I DID NOT REALIZE HE WAS IN OUR SYSTEM FIRST.

HoraceClarke66 said...

I thought I read somewhere, something about how the other Yankees used to mock Daley by limping around (oh, that ballplayer wit!). But I could easily be wrong. It's happened!

And yes, we seem to be back to the retirement home...

Unknown said...

Retirement home? Drury is 25, only two years older than Andujar. Walker is a stopgap as Torres clearly needs more seasoning after TJ last year. Who else is it who is retirement material?

HoraceClarke66 said...

Good point, Mr. Parr! Things are getting sunnier and sunnier around here!

alenna alison said...

I am Alenna Alison This is my testimony on how my ex lover come back home..i want to say a very big thanks and appreciation to chief priest ODUMODU for bringing back my lover who left me for almost 2 year,i feel like my life is completely over, so one day as i was browsing searching on the internet for recommend spell caster who will help me to bring my lover back, Finally i met a writing how so many testimony talking about how ODUMODU help to restore relationship back,so i decided to give it a try so i contacted the spell caster called ODUMODU and explain my problems to him,and he cast spell love spell luckily within the 48 hours my lover really called me and started apologizing for all he had caused me.and be begging me to accept him back and will are live happily marriage, I am the happiest woman on earth today because ODUMODU has done a wonderful deeds in my life and i will continue to share this testimony, i pray God almighty give you the strength and wisdom to help more people having similar problem like mine, contact him. drodumodusolutions@gmail.com

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.