Saturday, June 2, 2018

This is getting weird

I'm in the store about a week ago, looking to indulge in my worst vice—imbibing the unadulterated, completely worthless and probably carcinogenic chemicals that constitute Diet Coke—when I see they've started their silly, first-names-on-the-bottles summer promotion.

And what name to my wondering eyes should appear?  "Contreras."

Right there, on a bottle label, like some kind of terrible omen. I mean, WTF? Is "Contreras" even a first name now? I carefully, carefully backed away from it, the way you would on discovering an unexploded bomb.

Then, the other day, back in the store, I see another "first name":  Rivera. I am not making this up. Here's the proof:



Right? As you can see, it's on a bottle of Coke Zero, which I normally don't even drink, thinking it's just another marketing ploy. What's the difference, right? Diet Coke has one calorie, Coke Zero has none. Are you kidding me?

But here it was: Rivera. So I bought it.

The other day, we get down to the Astros, 2-1, and I decide, what the hell. I pull it out, drink some. We rally, go up, 5-2. El Chapo gives up that run-scoring double in the ninth. I quickly gulp down some more of this swill. Chapo rights himself. We win!

So now...what do I do? Save the magic Rivera bottle until the playoffs? Is this some gift from the gods, or some crazy JuJu trick.

BUT WAIT!  There's more...



5 comments:

Alphonso said...

Go back and buy a case.

Use the technique until it stops working.

Be discreet.

Be prudent and wise.

Multiply.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Believe it or not, I have actually looked for more. Can't find any with another good name, dammit!

TheWinWarblist said...


El Conquistador!

HoraceClarke66 said...

Si, si! And even Scranton!

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.