Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Sunday, October 18, 2015

It's time for the Mets to follow the lead of the '04 Yankees and do the right thing

Eleven years ago, the seemingly all-powerful New York Yankees performed the greatest act of selflessness since the Spanish Armada took a soggy pee against England:

With a three-game lead in the 2004 American League Championship Series, the so-called "Evil Empire" graciously relented, allowing a homeless band of Redsocks - and their tormented, scurvy-inflicted fans - to taste their first true victory since - oh, a long, long, long time, it's written down somewhere; Google it; my browser isn't working.

It was the greatest act of gift-giving since the invention of wrapping paper. It was punctuated by the great Yankee Secret Santa and sorcerer of the mound, Javier Vasquez, who magically planted a grand slam ball in the wheelhouse of Johnny Damon, sealing an act of kindness that will live forever in the hearts of grateful Boston fans - who still call me frequently, just to say thanks.

Alas, the time has arrived for another New York team to heed the clarion chime of history's chow bell.

The Mets must do the right thing. They must lose to Chicago.

It will be for the greater humanitarian good, and as we all know, nobody yearns more for the greater humanitarian good than a Met fan. Just ask him (or her.)

The fact is, for all combined the pain and torment - enough pain and torment to fill a billion solar systems - Cub fans have out-suffered the long-suffering Met fans, who love nothing more than telling how long they have suffered. Meet a Met fan on the street, and the first thing he (or she) will tell you is how long he (or she) has suffered. He (or she) will instinctively say that he (or she) certainly doesn't expect to win... because he (or she) is a Met fan! And the Met fan was put here to suffer. He (or she) is not like the fat cat Yankee fan. He (or she) is a thin cat Met fan. He (or she) lives to do good. 

But - dear God - compared to the long-long-longer suffering Cub fans, Met fans are the frickin' Kardashian sisters (or brothers). No Met fan can truly lament his (or her) endless torment, while in the presence of a Cub fan, without fearing that he (or she) has become a hypocrite. And no Met fan can be a hypocrite. He (or she) is good. Each Met fan is true to himself (or herself), and to the cause of good... because doing good is not doing bad. It's doing good.

Therefore, it's time for every Met to do the right thing: He (or she) must emulate the 2004 humanitarian Yankees and let the Cubbies win. For God's sake, they're the Cubbies! Nobody calls the Mets the Metsies. Does the Met fan want to do bad? Of course, not. He (or she) wants to do good. This is his (or her) chance to sow the seeds of greater humanitarian good, because the greater humanitarian good is real good.

It's time for each Met to do his (or her) true job. History is calling him... or her.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I KNEW THIS SHIT WAS GOING THE METS' WAY WHEN THE PIRATES GOT KNOCKED OUT RIGHT AWAY. THAT PIRATE TEAM WAS THE PERFECT TEAM TO SWAT AWAY THE METS. THAT TEAM WAS THE REAL CASUALTY OF THE "1 GAME PLAYOFF" NONSENSE...I THINK THEY WON 97 GAMES!

KD said...

Before settling on the Cubbies, Chicago conidered all manner of immature, helpless creatures. Somehow the Toddlers, uthe Puppies , the Fledglings, the Calves, and the Minnows didn't make the cut.

Donnie Baseball said...

An even better "what if . . . ." Dodgers management continues to scrutinize me, so I throw up my hands and sigh, "You'll win only if you can get the man with the binder . . . Look at how he whipped Miami into shape once upon a time!" Eureka! The Dodgers trade me to the Yankees for Girardi and CC Sabathia. I don (pardon the pun) #23 and we are off to the races again in April. Whatchathink, Duque?

Donald J. Trump said...

This Seely fellow is pretty smart. I need a ruthless but intelligent running mate WHO KNOWS HOW TO WIN!. How do I contact him?

Rufus T. Firefly said...

Mr. Trump, I have led a small country and trust me -- it was a lot of work. ...or at least a piece of work.

I'd much rather endorse getting your hands on Lydia, the walking encyclopedia, than running for chief executive.

Anonymous said...

I LOOKED INSIDE THE SUNDAY NEW YORK POST TODAY, AND THERE WASN'T ONE ONCE OF YANKEE NEWS THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE SPORTS SECTION...(THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING,- ALWAYS- EVEN IF IT IS A TINY LITTLE NIBLET OF NEWS)...ABSOLUTELY, NOTHING.....JUST THE NEW YORK MEDIA STICKING IT TO THE YANKS AGAIN (IN A SUBTLE WAY)....OH HOW I DESPISE WHAT IS GOING ON NOW. (MET SHIT INCLUDED)...

ceeja said...

I endured this kind of crap when I first started following the Yanks in 1965. The Mets owned the town until Chambliss hit that homerun in Game 5 of the 1976 ALCS.

Of course the Steinbrenners counted on the front-running, big-money crowd continuing to fork over money for premium seats. Can't wait to see them beg their real fans to come back.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...

I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.