Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Here's a trade to remember: In 2010, the Yankees gave Mark Melancon and Jimmy Paredes to Houston for two months of Lance Berkman

Melancon, 30, yesterday was named National League Reliever of the Year.

Paredes, 26, batted .275 with 10 HRs for Baltimore, playing four positions (including second base.)

Berkman in 2010 batted .255 for the Yankees. Over 37 games, he hit one HR and drove in 9 runs. He couldn't play first base because he was too fat to bend over and field grounders.

We let him go that winter. The following year in St. Louis, he was nearly the MVP.

Berkman now is making a big name for himself around the Houston area by campaigning to keep transgender people from using public rest rooms. I guess he wants them to hold it until they get home.

Listen: I know there are countless complications in baseball deals. But if the Yankees had never made a trade - never did anything - their 2015 bullpen would have been Melancon, Dellin Betances, David Robertson, Tyler Clippard, Adam Warren and David Phelps. Wow.

Sorry for being negative. You Yankee fans out there who are still positive... how do you do it?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!....ANOTHER "KID CASH CLUNKER" THAT I FORGOT ABOUT!!!! HOLY SHIT....IT JUST GOES ON AND ON AND ON WITH HIM AND HIS DOPEY "VISIONARY" DEALS....AND NOBODY EVER SEEMS TO TAKE HIM TO TASK ON MOST OF THEM. MANY OF HIS CLUNKERS GET FORGOTTEN (AS EVIDENCED BY THE S.I. ARTICLE ABOUT HOW HE SHOULD MAKE THE HALL OF FAME)....TALK ABOUT NOT DOING YOUR "DUE DILIGENCE" BEFORE YOU PUT A STORY OUT!!!! I KEEP SAYING IT....THESE ARE THE DECISIONS THAT ARE KILLING THIS FRANCHISE!!!!

Leinstery said...

I feel like I made this comment before on this site. During the 7th or 8th of the All Star Game, Sir Lancelot popped into my head and I thought to myself, "Who did they give up to get that bum?" I see Paredes and Melancon. I say, "Melancon, why does that sound familiar?" To my horror, I looked up and saw that Melancon was the guy pitching and the guy who Joe Buck had just gone on and on about how great he has been for the Pirates. Then I looked up Paredes and saw that he has been a 300 batter the last two years and can play 3rd. Oh boy did I want to kill myself. And of course, let's not forget that while Sir Lancelot rarely rode to the rescue for the Yanks and for the most part looked like Bernie Mac in Mr. 3000, he tore it up next years for the Cardinals, won Comeback player of the year and a World Series. FUCK CASHMAN

Anonymous said...

CASHMAN, (WHO I BELIEVE HAS 100% AUTHORITY TO DO WHATEVER HE WANTS, AS LONG AS HE TELLS HAL ABOUT IT), HAS GOT TO GO....BUT AFTER THE NEXT 2 YEARS WHEN HIS CONTRACT IS UP, DIDI WILL PROBABLY BE HITTING .275 AND WINNING A GOLD GLOVE (HOPEFULLY)....BUT THE MEDIA WILL BE SCREECHING HOW GREAT A GM CASHMAN IS BY HOW HE "FLEECED" GREGORIOUS IN THE "BRILLIANT" 3 TEAM TRADE....THIS WILL BE IGNORING ALL THE INCREDIBLE AMOUNT OF AWFUL DEALS AND SIGNINGS HE HAS SPEAR-HEADED IN THE DOUBLE DIGIT YEARS HE HAS BEEN THE GM....LEINSTERY IS RIGHT....FUCK CASHMAN.

jdrny said...

The fact that he's still around making stupid deals is a reflection on the brain dead ownership.
And let's not forget they gave Girardi a 4 year deal after coming in 4th that year??
Most managers & GMs would be looking for jobs. These guys are company drones.

JM said...

It is not acceptable to stand pat unless you have a truly mediocre lineup riddled with injury-prone former stars. Otherwise, you must trade away future stars to get more injury-prone former stars.

Everybody knows that.

Anonymous said...

I FEEL LIKE HAL JUST DOESN'T "WANT TO BE BOTHERED" MAKING BASEBALL DECISIONS. I THINK I AM RIGHT...."THAT IS WHY I HAVE CASHMAN-TO MAKE THESE DECISIONS FOR ME." BOY, WE COULD BE SCREWED FOR YEARS TO COME, GOD FORBID.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...

I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.