Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Yanks Win Opener In 14th !

The Yankees started their ace last night, and Tanaka ( cousin pictured above….our graphics guy was hung over this morning ) gave what we have come to expect; 6 innings and 3 runs.

Who knew that it would take 14 innings for the Yankees to outlast the feisty Mets?  The game story is endless, as this was one of the best opening acts the World Series as ever seen.

The Yankees had a number of amazing performances, beginning with Didi's lead off inside-the-park home run.  I do agree, by the way, that the ball should have been caught.  Nonetheless, a lucky bounce took the ball 50 yards out of the reach of either Met outfielder, and Didi turned on the jets to cross the plate standing up. Needless to say, this energized the crowd.  I give some credit to Joe Girardi for shaking up the line-up and having Didi lead off.

The Mets, however, showed that they can not only take a punch, but deliver a flurry of their own.  The Yanks had to battle back from deficits two times, including the dramatic bottom of the ninth.  I am encouraged by this because, during most of the year, the Yanks couldn't score more than two runs against a quality team.  And Matt Harvey looked as though he was settling in…I think he retired 11 straight at one point.

But let's get to some real drama.  With the game knotted at 3-3, Bird misplayed a ground ball that should have been the end of the inning, and the Mets scored the go-ahead run on the error.  The rookie had a chance to drive in the tying run in his next at bat, with Refsnyder at second ( lead-off double ) but Tyler Clippard struck him out on a high fastball, out of the zone.  Tyler, of course, was a long time Yankee property whom Cashman traded for a sack of rocks a few years back.  The irony.

I had just finished saying to the guy sitting next to me at the bar that, " the team has got to pick
him ( Bird ) up."  A Bill Buckner type experience ( it was a much tougher play than Bill had to make ) could hurt his psyche forever. Cut to the bottom of the 9th, Mets up 4-3 with their perfect Familia in to close things out.

Then the most unlikely thing happened;  Brett Gardner ( a .200 hitter since August 1 ) jumps a fastball and plants it into the seats.  Tie ballgame.  In the 14th, Greg Bird hits the sac fly that wins the game for the Yanks.

Perfect.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOT SO FAST FAMILIA...YOU GOT A LONGGGG WAY TO GO TO REACH "MARIANO-DOM"....

Isiyku Abdulahi said...

I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.