Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Cal Ripken Jr. elected IT IS HIGH All-Time Yankee Opponent at SS

Before we start beefing about whether Robin Yount or A-Rod have gotten screwed for the all-time IT IS HIGH opponent team, consider this:

Cal Ripken Jr. was a 19-year all-star, an eight-time Silver Slugger, a two-time MVP, a two-time Gold Glover and a first-time member to Cooperstown with 98.5 percent of the vote. (Who spurned him? Probably the same asshole who dissed Jeter. Somewhere among the Gammonites, there is a writer - or two - who got their rocks off by leaving Ripken and Jeter off their ballots.) 

Oh, there's also the thing about consecutive games. I know, he beat Lou Gehrig, and we must always instinctively hate him, but hell, Ripken was pretty good. 

Here are the totals of 241 votes cast:

Cal Ripken (69 votes): 29%
Robin Yount (48): 20
Alex Rodriguez (40): 17%
Alan Trammell (31): 13%
Nomar Garciaparra (24): 10%
Dick Groat (14): 17%
Rick Burleson (12): 5%

Luis Aparicio (3): 1%

He shoulda been a Yankee, by the way. Baltimore selected him in the second round of the 1978 draft - a year when the Yankees had three first-round picks: Rex Hudler, Matt Winters and Bryan Ryder. 

I just re-read the above paragraph and puked. (Note: In the second round, they drafted four clicks after Baltimore and selected - drum roll - Steve Balboni.) 

Okay, enough self-torture. But if the Yankees had drafted Ripken, imagine the difference in the eighties and nineties. Ripken would have played SS up until the arrival of Jeter, making that position the modern face of the franchise. 

Rex Hudler, Matt Winters and Bryan Ryder... 

That leaves our all-time opponent team as

1B Eddie Murray
2B Rod Carew
SS Cal Ripken


Not bad. Congratulations, Iron Man. 

9 comments:

Carl J. Weitz said...

Sorry, but I will not ever recognize Ripken's record of consecutive games because unlike Lou Gehrig, the Orioles on many occasions sent him up to pinch hit in the ninth inning even in a blowout or defensively for the last out in the game even when he was obviously hurt.Lou never did that and never would. It happened during the times below:

"Ripken severely twisted his right knee during a benches-clearing brawl with the Seattle Mariners on June 6, 1993. Ripken was sore the next day, but still played. Had he sat that game out, his streak would have ended at 1,790 games. Ankle injuries in 1985 and 1992 nearly kept Ripken out of the lineup; the Orioles went as far as to recall Manny Alexander in 1992 as insurance in the event Ripken had to sit out."

Shame on both Cal and the Orioles organization!

JM said...

I'm with Carl. I never really liked Ripken, good as he was, and the whole consecutive games "record" he set is total bullshit next to Gehrig's. Records set due to loopholes and gaming the system aren't my idea of records.

Now, Gehrig--THAT was a record.

Anonymous said...

I CAN LIVE WITH RIPKEN.

HE DIDN'T REALLY MURDER US BUT NO ONE REALLY DID IN THE SS BUNCH (LIKE HOSS SAYS)...

THE 3RD BASE CATEGORY IS GOING TO BE A WAR.

LETS GET TO IT.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Checking out even old-timey guys such as Luke Appling and Johnny Pesky...they were actually a little below their best against the Yanks, too.

With all due respect to ALL-CAPS, I don't see how anyone beats out Brett at third, but I'm willing to listen.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Orioles fans I know hated Ripken because they felt he "hurt the team" by not sitting more, or moving to third base earlier.

I tell them stuff like, "Dude, you haven't had a great pitcher since Jim Palmer retired, and you think Cal Ripken, Jr., is the problem???"

Make you wonder about just how insane we must be...

HoraceClarke66 said...

The decision to pass over Cal, Jr., probably comes from The Mad King chasing Gabe Paul back to Cleveland before the 1978 season.

The relative success of the team under the Steinbrenners nicely covers up exactly how unbeatable it could have been under some rational human being willing to trust the great baseball people once eager to work for them.

The trouble is everyone compares them to CBS, which owned the Yankees at the one time when making much immediate improvement in a team was almost impossible.

They should be comparing the to the Ruppert-Barrow or George Weiss eras, which were hugely more successful than the Steinbrenner years.

Local Bargain Jerk said...


I was at Cal Ripken's last game in Yankee Stadium. It was supposed to be his last game, PERIOD, but 9/11 happened and mucked up the end of the season.

The Yankees gave him a nice ceremony and he gave a very gracious speech honoring all the Yankees he'd played against. He talked about each one and said a few words about each, Jeter, Pettite, etc.. When he got to Mariano Rivera, however, he paused and then said in a loud voice, "GAME OVER." It was great and it was clear the Yankees players appreciated it.

Yes, he made some mistakes, but he nailed that moment.


Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.



Isiyku Abdulahi said...


Hi everyone I'm Wayne Desmond
Hi everyone I'm Wayne Desmond and am here to share the wonderful work Dr Believe did for me. After 5 years in marriage with my husband with 2 kids, my husband started acting weird and going out with other ladies and showed me cold love, on several occasions he threatens to divorce me if I dare question him about his affair with other ladies, I was totally devastated and confused until a old friend of mine told me about a spell caster on the internet called Dr. Believe who help people with relationship and marriage problem by the powers of love spells, at first I doubted if such thing ever exists but decided to give it a try, when I contact him, he helped me cast a love spell and within 48hours my husband came back to me and started apologizing, now he has stopped going out with other ladies and his with me for good and for real. Contact this great love spell caster for your relationship or marriage problem to be solved today via email: believelovespelltemple@gmail.com