Friday, April 10, 2020

The Forbes valuation and Evil Empireness

Here's the thing about the Yankees' $5 billion Forbes valuation. The next highest valued team is the LA Dodgers--AND WE'RE WORTH 47% MORE THAN THEY ARE.

That's crazy. We should have the gaudiest collection of all-star players ever assembled on a single team. We should throw money at everyone who looks good and sort it out later. Instead, we play Shoppin' the Scrapheap.


After
Before
Today, ESPN informed me that it's the 107th anniversary of the Highlanders becoming the Yankees, the most storied team in sports.

It was also pointed out in a short  "Evil Empire" article that the Yanks have 27 rings, more than any other team by far, yadda yadda yadda. 

The thing is, they won 20 by 1962. That means 7 WORLD SERIES TITLES IN 57 FUCKING YEARS

And when you remember that four of those seven came via the great late-90s team, that's pretty damn sparse.

We may or may not be evil, but no way in hell we're an empire. I don't count a team as an empire when they're 7 for the last 57. Heinz's product lineup is more consistent than that.

We were an empire, many many many years ago, and a little mini-empire for a handful of seasons 20 years ago. But calling the Yankees an empire is like calling Moldova a superpower. It's ridiculous. (By the way, I worked across the street from the Moldovan embassy for a while, the saddest, shabbiest looking place, on an out-of-the-way side street.)

And in truth, the only evil thing about this non-empire is the mega-billionaire skinflint in the corner office. The penny pincher. The coupon clipper. The garbage picker. Never an emperor.


P.S. I also saw that Mark Reynolds is retiring. The Yankees are listed as one of a bunch of teams he's been with over the past five seasons. I honestly don't recall that, at all. Did he ever get in a game? One thing, I bet he came pretty cheap.

5 comments:

Parson Tom said...

You don't remember Mark Reynolds because he sucked and couldn't hit the ball. Another scrap-heap acquisition for the most valuable franchise in sports.

Thank you for discussing this issue. My bile needed to come out for a walk.

Anonymous said...

I REMEMBER REYNOLDS HITTING A HOMER FOR US AGAINST BOSTON AT FENWAY.

I THINK IT WAS HIS FIRST GAME WITH US IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN.

WE WON.

GOOD TIMES.

HoraceClarke66 said...

EXCELLENT post, JM.

Yes, sadly, Mark Reynolds WAS a Yankee.

And...ALL-CAPS is right: He didn't stink. At least not by today's ludicrous, "three true outcomes standards."

Reynolds had 6 HRs and 19 RBI in 36 games, and hit .236. Nothing to write home about, but he also had "only" 31 Ks in those 36 games, as opposed to the 1,927 he ran up in 1,688 games.

Reggie Jackson must be very sad that there is now no hope of Reynolds breaking his all-time, MLB whiff record.

HoraceClarke66 said...

But great point by JM on the number of rings in those 57 seasons. That is NOT acceptable.

The partial standings in that time:

Yankees: 7
Cardinals: 5
Dodgers: 4
Red Sox: 4
A's: 4
Reds: 3
Orioles: 3
Mets: 2
Marlins: 2
Pirates: 2
Blue Jays: 2
Tigers: 2
Royals: 2
Phillies: 2
Twins: 2

Many tied with 1.

This is SO far from true evil. Or empire. It's more like we're "The Overbearing Trade Agreement."






Isiyku Abdulahi said...



I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.