Wednesday, April 1, 2020

The wondrous moments that we're missing

The counter in the upper left corner says it all: 21 days since the last Yankee injury - actually, since the last Yankee anything

Today, everything seems so surreal. A hundred thousand deaths? How long can we last? Will I live to see another Yankee championship? I used to ask that question rhetorically, as a poke at Food Stamps Hal. Now, I ask it literally: A hundred thousand deaths?Who among us will lose in this looming lottery?

There were moments to the 2020 season I longed to see - now delayed indefinitely. Here's a short list. Please add your own...

1. Gerrit Cole's first game as a Yankee. The prodigal son. I saw him pitching into the eighth, then receiving a standing ovation. Goosebumps. 

2. Clint Frazier scoring in his last opportunity, via the injury to Aaron Judge. He'd hit his way into the lineup and become a lifelong Yankee. What a story to tell.

3. Crowds booing the Astros wherever they go - even some in Houston -  showing that fans understand - and will never forget - the magnitude of their cheating scandal.

4. Redsock fans cringing at the sight of Mookie Betts in a Dodgers uniform. How much does a guy need to do to win loyalty from a multi-billion dollar franchise? I'm glad his gone, but damn - Mookie deserved better.

5. Daily box scores from 17-year-old Jasson Dominiguez - aka "the Martian" - in the Dominican Summer League (and if does well, maybe the Florida rookie league.) For better or worse, I planned to watch this guy throughout his entire Yankee career. An epic saga.

6. Gleyber Torres. That's all. If he can play shortstop - MVP.

7. The rise or fall of Giancarlo Stanton, who cannot lose another Yankee season. The defining year of his career. Crunch time.

8. Finding that Gio Urshela's 2019 season was no fluke, and he is simply a late bloomer. Many top prospects fail at first, then one day figure it out. It's a mystery to me why the Yankees don't pursue more of them (though Cooperstown Cashman has been doing that in recent years.) 

9. Higgy. Yes, I'm not kidding. Higgy - Kyle Higashioka - making the most of his shot as a backup catcher. The guy will never hit for average, but his defense is solid, and he shows surprising power. We mourn the exit of beloved Yankees - (go Austin, go Didi, go Dellin) - but I had a feeling about Higgy. A valuable lug nut.

10. The captain - de facto, that is - Brett Gardner. There is no doubt who leads this team. Damn. It can't end this, right? It can't.

13 comments:

Parson Tom said...

The return of doubles-machine Miguel Andujar. When they let him in the lineup, they won't be able to take him out because he hits. I cringe at bad fielding like all of you, but for 30 homers and 45 double and an average approaching .300, I'll put up with a few clankers in left field.

JM said...

I second Tom's emotion.

Other than that, I'm not getting enough sleep and the eerie stillness--for Manhattan--is giving me the creeps.

TheWinWarblist said...

Stay safe everyone. Stay well. Be fucking careful out there.

TheWinWarblist said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
13bit said...

Winnie! and not the fake Winnie who is posting - PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. The IIHIIF team cannot afford to lose you.

Sending love and support from the 13bit compound - and not the fake 13bit, who needs to be executed and scattered to the fishes.

13bit said...

Also, although I applaud any talk of that peculiar pastime that we used to call "baseball," any talk about actual games is, at this point, highly speculative and abstract. I prefer the alternative games that are being reported on every day in these hallowed paged.

Can we get an alternative trade market going? Oh, I guess that already exists in real life...

Anonymous said...

221 DAYS SINCE THE LAST YANKEE INJURY....

...THAT WE KNOW ABOUT!

ARE WE SURE HIGGY IS SOLID DEFENSIVELY, MR. DUQUE?

...I....DON'T...KNOWWWWW.....

ranger_lp said...

@Winnie...found real paper towels today...so there is some hope...

HoraceClarke66 said...

Yeah, it's a strange thing, JM. I noticed years ago that there is a permanent background hum to Manhattan—like background radiation in the universe.

It only diminishes in the very early hours of the morning, and never altogether. Now it is really gone. Eerie is right.

TheWinWarblist said...

It's like the days after 9/11, quiet except for sirens.


Even more strange is that we appear to have a "blog administrator?" How is that possible? I thought a "blog administrator" on this site was purest fairy tale, like Alice in Wonderland or the Loch Ness Monster. How did this come to pass? Did they/it run out of whiskey and now rise from their lair to devour random comments? I find the concept of a "blog administrator" on IIHIIFIIC more difficult to grasp than the lack of baseball and the pandemic.

TheWinWarblist said...

Also, I'm somewhat flattered that I have another stalker. It's sad and pathetic, but at least they care dammit.

Carl J. Weitz said...

Yeah Winnie..I've seen some screwed up comments here and self-removed comments by the author but have never seen any comment removed by a blog administrator. I'm curious as to what the comment was that it was so bad that it had to be removed.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...



I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.