Friday, January 8, 2021

Bubba's Gum Is Sticky


Bubba Harkins, 55, the visiting clubhouse manager for the California Anaheim Los Angeles Angels during his nearly 40-year career, was fired last March for providing illegal ball-doctoring substances to visiting pitchers.

Bubba didn't much like losing his job.

Bubba believes he was made a “public scapegoat” in baseball’s efforts to crack down on the use of foreign substances so he filed a defamation suit in a California court today.

Bubba's suit indicates that his gum substance was popular among the Angels' staff as well as players visiting the clubhouse he managed.  These visitors include Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer, Felix Hernandez, Corey Kluber, Adam Wainwright and ... Gerrit Cole.


Among the damaging pieces of evidence included in Harkins' suit is a transcript of a text message he exchanged with Cole.  The full LA Times article includes this quote:

“Hey Bubba, it’s Gerrit Cole, I was wondering if you could help me out with this sticky situation,” the pitcher wrote, adding a wink emoji. “We don’t see you until May, but we have some road games in April that are in cold weather places. The stuff I had last year seizes up when it gets cold.”

Ugh.  I mean, this is only resin and pine tar -- not metal files or sandpaper -- but, Ugh.

Bubba is seeking at least $4 million in damages if the case goes to trial.  There was no indication of the price his customers paid for the magic substance.

3 comments:

JM said...

You left out Joba Chamberlain, another of Bubba's customers.

This is the kind of good, old-fashioned cheating that made baseball America's game. Not steroids and HGH, but baseballs knicked on sharpened buckles, slippery elm, bats filled with rubber balls--a tradition that will never die as long as players want to augment their natural skills. Which is never.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever