Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Cock-a-doodle Drew: Dare we start hoping?

When the Yankees signed Stephen Drew, I threw up.

I hated, hated, HATED the deal. A typical Cashman move: Another old guy with a ceiling made of concrete, who'll start hot and then end up hitting .210 around the all-star break, when we finally accept the reality of his abilities... and then discard him.

Vernon Wells. Travis Hafner. Andruw Jones. Alfonso Soriano. Brian Roberts. The list goes on.

I'm still not sold on Drew. Every one of the above players hit well for the Yankees at the start... and then petered out into a team-crushing nothingness. April can be strong. June is the crucible.

As a fan, there is nothing worse than rooting against one of your own players, because you've concluded that the only way for the team to move forward is getting rid of him. Carlos Beltran is dabbling a toe in those waters.

But Drew was last night's hero, and let's give the guy his due. If Didi Gregorious keeps playing as stupidly as he's done - if his baseball I.Q. of 75 was the reason Arizona jettisoned him - Drew may have to play SS. And .210 might be 30 points over the next candidate. This is life in the middle of the pack, and Yankee fans everywhere should get used to it.

4 comments:

Roger B said...

Signing Drew, and then passing on Moncada, was when my disgust reached the level that for the first time in years I pretended not to care. I refused to re-up on my Sunday series tickets and everytime I got an e-mail from the Yankees I responded by badmouthing the Prince of Pennies and hitting "reply". To me, Drew was the symbol of misplaced priorities. But I hate rooting against Yankee players more than I hate rooting against players as symbols. So Screw Drew, but Hooray for His Granny! Hatred can be such a conflicting passion, sometimes.

Clem said...

el duque--have a cup of chamomile tea. Drew is Drew. He can't hit. I doubt that anybody else in baseball would have signed him if Cashman hadn't Thanks to moronic signings like this, by June the Yankees will be in last place to stay.

Anonymous said...

To be fair, Drew is not really comparable to the other examples you mentioned. As you stated, they started out hitting well...

Alphonso said...

No. You may not start hoping.