Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Monday, July 3, 2017

Home Run Folllies

Here's what I'm thinking about the Home Run Derby. Because the Yankees have a 6-1 lead.

Go ahead, call me a curmudgeon. Hey kids get off my lawn, oh wait it's 6-2, that kind of thing. So back to Judge and the Home Run Derby.

Damn, now it's 6-3. WTF? Damn, Chapman, what the hell? Now a wild pitch puts a Jay in scoring position.

OK, so anyway back to Judge. He ran into the wall in the ninth chasing down a fly. OK, so is he feeling anything, or is he OK? Will he come up with a "twinge" in the next couple of days? And do you want to send someone with a "twinge" into the Home Run Derby, where a twinge can turn into a pull or a tweak, or a whatever and next thing you know, Mister Baseball reincarnation of Babe Ruth is on the 15-day DL coming off the All-Star break.

I know the argument. Make it fun. Give the fans what they want. I say the hell with the fans. Give Yankee Fans what THEY want. Or more specifically, give Yankee Fans what they do NOT want. And they do NOT want their No. 1 offensive power threat struggling for weeks with a strained oblique just so everyone can go oooh and aaaaah the night before the All-Star Game.

The Home Run Derby is like ... damn, Headley snags a liner to end this one. whew... 6-3. Listen, the Home Run Derby is short-term gratification. If someone pulls a muscle, nobody's going to have a bakesale to get them off the DL any faster.

That's what I think, anyway. Let some other team's heroes get hurt in the HR Derby.

6 comments:

Alphonso said...

I agree. It is a looming disaster to have Judge in that mickey mouse promotion, designed to draw interest from the stupefied.

But they will make him do it. MLB will force him to do it, saying that there will be no ratings otherwise, and they will have to cut back on their expense accounts.

We can only hope he treats it as a normal batting practice and does not need to exert himself.

Distance does not win the prize, only quantity.

Nor velo off the bat.

We have to keep our fingers crossed in a risky year for injuries.

The home run derby has ruined guys.

Anonymous said...

GIRARDI IS ALWAYS WORRIED ABOUT RESTING, RESTING RESTING EVERYONE.

BETANCES IS NOW GOING TO THROW AN INNING I DON'T WANT HIM TO THROW.

JUDGE IS GOING TO POSSIBLY RISK HIMSELF IN THIS BULLSHIT DERBY.

SANCHEZ AS WELL.

DIDI MADE IT TOO, AND WE ALL KNOW HOW WELL THINGS GO FOR HIM IN THESE SIDE ENDEAVOURS.
(THINK WBC)....

WHY CAN'T WE BE HAPPY FOR 5 FUCKING MINUTES?

LEAST WE WON TONIGHT....

TANAKA!

Uncle Tex said...

Personally, I could do without the All Star game completly. Just take three days off and go back to regular baseball.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Tanaka-San was definitely ON, tonight (thank goodness). Your comments, Damur, echo what Mushnick said re: Not voting Didi into the ASG....I concur, in both instances. LB (No J)

JM said...

I think we should have an All Star Game only in those years where Lou Gehrig retires.

Tanaka seems to have glued his elbow back together. So now, instead of every other pitcher being formidable and Tanaka sucking, we have a situation where Tanaka is formidable and every other pitcher is sucking. As much as I like the Professor, I think we were better off before.

Who the fork watches the Home Run Derby, anyway? You have to be pretty goddamn bored to stare at the screen for that.

Which reminds me, who watches the All Star Game? Especially all the way through?

Thought so.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.