Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Saturday, July 1, 2017

Hey, someone just stole another base on Betances

This is not a time to look for a half-full glass. This is not a time for "well, it's a long season." This is not a time for learned analysis. I'll leave that to my esteemed brethren (and sistren?) elsewhere on this site.

This is a time to eye roll and mutter, "WTF?" This is a time to SMH. This is a time to barf.

Wait a second. Look at the bright side. After this 7-6 loss to Houston, at least I can rest easy this evening safe in the knowledge that one day, probably soon, I will be able to steal a base when Dellin Betances is on the mound.

Yes, me, a regular fan, admittedly in possession of what they used to call a "stylishly stout" physique, could pilfer a pillow (or two, or maybe even three), while Betances is on the hill. He's that horrific at holding runners on. Forget "defensive indifference." This was a whole 'nuther category. Call it "offensive indifference." Because it was indeed offensive.

Speaking of offense, the latest meltdown in the pen (15th blown save this year, they had 16 all of last year, way to go guys) ruined what had been a pretty good night for the Bombers, highlighted by Clint Frazier's double and homer. Even my wife perked up when he came up. "He'd look good in a kilt," she says. I couldn't disagree. And Big John Sterling came through with the perfect HR call of "Downtown Goes Frazier!!" according to a post from Meredith Marakovits on the tweeter. OH! and for crying out loud. Didi hit his first career grand slam. That's what kind of night we had going.

Heck, even Green managed to get the job done. Then Betances comes on and all but sets the ball down and invites baserunners to advance. "Here, come on, no problem, I'll just stand here with my thumb up my wazoo and let you trot on down to second, then third. Oh, and to make things better, I'll even fail to get anywhere near the strike zone, too. Would that be a help? Good, because I'm here to serve."

First Yankee ever to allow at least three steals and one earned run in an outing of less than 1 IP.
Dellin has boldly strode onto turf where the likes of Dooley Womack, Lindy McDaniel and Bill Monboquette have feared to tread. Yeah, I know they weren't all relievers. You get my point.

And then Chapman brings in the gas can, dumps it all over the mound, drops a match, then kneels down like Jimi Hendrix, as we all watch the Yankee victory going up in smoke.

Aaarrrrrgh. And don't even get me started on the game-ending play, where Gardner laces one in the gap, runs almost all the way to second, and then decides oops, and runs back to first where he's thrown out by 12 miles. Yes. Twelve frigging miles. It set a record on Stat Cast for "longest retreat back to first to get thrown out and end a stupid, ridiculous loss." Or LRBTFTGTOAEASRL, to make it easier for you SABR fans. I think it will be a while before it replaces WAR or SNORK in your baseball mythology. After the game, Girardi said he didn't have a problem with the wide turn, that it was the kind of baseball decision a runner has to make. I beg to differ, Joe.

Ugh. Oh well. Rubber game Sunday at 2 p.m. ET.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

TOO PAINFUL....

50 YEARS A YANKEE FAN, AND IT STILL HURTS THE SAME AFTER A CRUSHING LOSS.

CONSIDERING WE ALL LIVED THROUGH AN ENTIRE WORLD SERIES GAME 7 LOSS WITH THE LEAD GOING INTO THE 9TH INNING AND THE GREATEST CLOSER IN THE WORLD ON THE MOUND,
IT IS TRULY AMAZING HOW A REGULAR SEASON GAME LOSS, IN ANY MONTH, CAN MAKE ME FEEL JUST AS BAD AS THE WORLD SERIES LOSS....

I PROBABLY NEED COUNSELING.....

BUT I WILL NEVER CHANGE....

GO YANKS.

SEVY TOMORROW.

Anonymous said...

All I can do is concur to every word that Nickname Damur has posted - - and then some. The pineapple shards are becoming larger and less bearable every time something this bitter happens - - how bloody riDICulous!!

All-Caps: Did you HAVE to bring up 2001?? Since you did, what about 2004, ALCS, game 7?? If you want to feel bad, might as well add THAT one in, as well....

Now Frazier will have to remember this stunning loss, every time he thinks of his otherwise-terrific first game. LB (No J)

Urban Farmer formerly known as DutchFan said...

This was another painful one indeed. And it seems so useless.

I am now probably stating the obvious and everyone will probably sigh "that's Binder for you" but I cannot get over the almost anal fixation with reacting to certain situations and time slots in a pre-conceived way.

My limited knowledge of the American pastime (we Dutch do different things for fun, hence the tourism, lack of athletic successes and DNA-driven reluctance to be accountable for anything reaching further than the color orange) gives me the freedom of mind to look at a game with a certain boldness and groundbreaking independence that marks the innovator.

And so it comes to pass that I listen to the Master and boldly think: "this Green person seems to be doing alright having three strikeouts already and we are three runs up, let's not rock the boat".

But out in Houston, a blissful 4500 miles away, somebody has a knee jerk reflex and puts in Betances.

Breaks my clog. Really.

And this is not a just like me you must have had a once upon a time. This is SOP.

Can anyone explain way.
I mean next thing you know they start benching their best players to rest them.
AS if athletes in the old days were so much healthier and thus could play 162 games a year. But I know, due to deteriorating diets, polluted air, dismal travel conditions and poor medical care, you are one lucky dude if you can play 8 in a row.

I guess I am just a little bit unfair.

JM said...

Should've traded Betances and kept Miller.

Leinstery said...

I agree John M. I felt that way before the trade, after the trade, and everyday up until this point. When Miller loses it's because the other team beats him. When Betances loses it's because he totally implodes.

Now I have long called the Yankees farm system a black hole where promise goes to die, knock on wood I'm finally wrong. However I always cited Betances as a failure because let's face it, he was long touted as a future starting great, yet he failed miserably and had to be salvaged as a reliever. That doesn't sound like a success for the farm. God I hate him.


On a happier note, John's call of "Downtown goes Frazier" while doing a Howard Cossell impression might be his best call since Bern Baby Bern.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Urban F, I, too, had a bad feeling when Joey yanked Green and put in Dellin; Chris Carter was also partially responsible, since he should have been more alert and ready for that throw to first he muffed...on the other hand, a while before, I was glad that someone of Carter's size was over at 1B, since Headcase Chasely air-mailed another one over to first, and Carter was tall enough to haul it down.

I say Joey needs to go - - and the so-called "closers" need to listen up to GGR's speech, via Duque. LB (No J)

Alphonso said...

One reason it wasn't Betances and Miller in those trades last summer; no one wanted Betances.

He is only effective when no one gets on base.

Then, he melts.

And to the Dutch Farmer ; Joe Girardi is a routinized individual. If Headley is, by contract and by experience, our third baseman, then he remains our third baseman until death, taxes or injury remove him.

If Betances is our "8th inning guy," he comes in at that time. Unless, of courses our lead is double digits at the time. Then, he uses his creativity and brings in someone to close that gap until he has to get Betances up and ready anyway.

Basically, we have a really decent human being as manager, but someone who is shitty at making baseball decisions.

It is an American thing. And not nearly as much fun as you have in Holland.

How are the zucchini blossoms this season?

Unknown said...

'Dellin Betances is not a closer': Yankees president Randy Levine rips pitcher after arbitration hearing.

Anonymous said...

Nailed it, Fonz!! Bravo. LB (No J)

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.