Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Thursday, July 6, 2017

That Trade ...

Remember this guy?

Make him right-handed, hispanic, and put a cap aslant upon his head, and you could be  looking at Michael Pineda.

With no game on today, it is time to revisit the endless debate about;  who won the Pineda/ Jesus trade?

I was about to fold my tent and concede my position in April.  Maybe even in May.  Pineda actually looked as if he could pitch.

But since that time, Pineda has hurt this team in every way imaginable, whilst  Jesus has been unobtrusively eating ice cream sandwiches for some other team's minor league club.

If this continues, we must agree that Seattle won the trade.  Certainly, Jesus is not helping them but, more importantly, he is not hurting them.  He isn't striking out with the bases loaded, or hitting into rally-killing double plays.  He isn't dropping balls that give a baserunner to the opposition.

Whereas, on our end, we trot this dude out every 4-5 days to pitch.  And we are usually behind by 6 or 7 runs in the third inning.  We blast through our bullpen, have no realistic chance of winning the game, and must hope that the next day's starter will ( somehow ), " give us length."  Otherwise, Refsnyder will be pitching the 8th and 9th.

So Pineda has climbed right back into the chair of " flat out bust."

Here is the core of the debate:  which is better;  neutrality or pain?  Nothingness ( no impact ) or horror?  Peace and quiet or chaos and despair?

If a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound?

Pineda does and Jesus doesn't.

I rest my case.

Your turn to weigh in.  Again.  There is no game.  What else is there to do?


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

PINEDA SUCKS....... BUT WATCH, HE WILL GO TO THE NATIONAL LEAGUE, (PIRATES OR BREWERS) NEXT SEASON AND WIN 14 - 15 GAMES, PROBABLY LOSE 7 OR 8.

HE CAN'T CUT IT IN THE A.L.

AS FAR AS THE ANSWER OF WHO WON THE TRADE?

I GOTTA GO WITH A DRAW, ALTHOUGH I CAN HONESTLY SAY, IT'S A DEAL I WISH CASHMAN NEVER MADE..... REMEMBER, AT THAT TIME MONTERO WAS LOOKED AT AS A "STUD" PROSPECT..... LOOKING AT IT NOW, CASHMAN PRETTY MUCH GOT FLEECED..... WHY?... BECAUSE MONTERO COULD HAVE BROUGHT BACK SOMEONE BETTER THAN PINEDA.

Rufus T. Firefly said...

Is that Michael Kei?

Alphonso said...

Yes. The guy with the Igawa teeth.

JM said...

Both teams lost in that trade. But we're suffering more.

KD said...

Yes, we suffer WAY more! Pineda still screws with our heads whereas the Mariners have given up on Montero. Give me two "quality" starts by Pineda and I'll be back in full-blown Hope Mode. I just can't help myself. Sad!

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.