Tuesday, March 8, 2022

And here's mine - Sent 5 min ago

Dear MLB,

First off, I want to thank you for the current lockout/attempt to break the players union. I recognize the need for cost certainty going forward. You are going to need it.

As a lifetime baseball fan, I have watched with horror as the increased commodification of the sport has sucked the life, joy, and history out of the game.

I’ve seen classic ball parks replaced by glorified shopping malls where the actual game is the least interesting thing going on.

So, thank you. Thank you for reminding me, repeatedly, that I am not a fan of a team but of a product, and a poor one at that.

Thank you for allowing sponsored gambling so the “product” I root for is no longer my home “product.”

Weakening fan loyalty sounds like a winning move. Keep it up. I’m sure it will increase revenue, even if there is no longer a reason to buy your branded merchandise or attend a game. After all, I have many players on different teams now.

Most importantly, thank you, because the lockout/attempt to turn the regular season into a meaningless run to an “everybody makes the playoffs” post season, has given me the time and disposable income to look at and enjoy other entertainment products.

I am now a fan of hockey. I’m looking forward to March Madness. I hear there’s going to be spring football as well.

As a consequence of the lockout/attempt to not share increased revenue with the actual people that play the game, I am taking my entertainment dollars and applying them elsewhere. So, I will,

  • stop attending games in person.
  • stop watching games on tv whether they are televised nationally or via the local cable carriers.
  • drop my subscription to mlbtv.
  • stop betting through Draft Kings et al.
  • stop going to the MLB website.

 In short, I pledge to stop caring about baseball since it is clear that ownership cares much more about their profit margins than the game itself, and most certainly not about the fans who are your customers.

I am no longer a customer.

One last thing, bite me.

(My name) Former 55-year fan of MLB and the New York Yankees

---

Oh and thanks to the original writer who provided the list and pledge. It was so well written I realized I couldn't do better.   -  Doug