Friday, March 25, 2022

How to burn your own chi

 

If you're like me, you DON'T watch sports because athletes remind you of politicians on their worst days.

Very much the opposite. Athletes come from an inherently, "no-excuses" culture, and usually they're very good at owning up to their own shortcomings—and (often too good at) saying what's on their mind. 

But Covid seems to make cowards of them all.

We saw it when Aaron Rodgers, formerly one of the most popular players in the NFL, hemmed and hawed and deliberately misled everybody regarding his vaccination status this past year.

I'm not saying there's karma in football. But somehow it did seem as if Rodgers' reduced credibility led directly to his pathetic playoff performance and—yet another—early exit for the Packers.

Then there is Aaron Judge, sounding as mealy mouthed as, well, our own mayor, in refusing to let on the other day as to whether or not he has been vaccinated...two years into this epidemic, and with the entire season for his team potentially on the line.

I don't want to get into the whole vaccine debate here. But it seems to me that the least we're owed by an athlete who we fans are currently enriching down to the seventh generation of the seventh generation, is a forthright explanation.  

Had the Other Aaron sat down before the media and said, outright, "Hey, I've checked this out, really looked into it, and I think that this vaccine (or any vaccine) is a greater danger to me and others than the Covid, and I'm willing to forego the money I would make by sitting out, if that's what it takes"—I would have respected that.

I would have thought, Man, you really need to get better sources. But I would have respected his decision.  

Instead, much like Green Bay's Mr. Fabulous, Aaron Judge, a man who so seemed to epitomize what is best about professional sports (and is so rarely on display these days) that not just your New York Yankees but MLB in general planned to make him the image of the game...managed to burn his own chi to a crisp.

No, I'm not actually a believer in Eastern philosophies. But I do like the idea of a "chi"—a sort of vital energy that is your real self, much as Plato thought of a real self. Or at least that's how my limited, baseball-polluted intellect conceives of it.

It doesn't mean that either Aaron will never have a good season again. But their actions do mean that something has been irrevocably lost in both men.  

I couldn't find it online for some reason, but the Daily News ran its own, brilliant cartoon today, of a massive, pinstriped figure who was obviously Judge, standing at the plate and pointing, Babe Ruth-like, toward the stands, as if to call his shot.

Instead, he is saying, "Look at that dummy up in the stands who went and got vaccinated."

It's true. In a town where garbage collectors and nurses are being fired for not being vaccinated, now the Aaron Judges, and the Jacob deGroms, and the Kyrie Irvings, have an exemption. No matter how you slice it, or what you think of Covid or vaccines, it's not right.

The related question of whether our Aaron should get a massive raise and extension of his contract is now on the table—a question that enabled F.S. Hal Steinbrenner to evade the question as to why he didn't fill any of his team's gaping holes this offseason.  

As a number of people here have pointed out, Judge, about to be 29, is most likely only to decline. As it is, he has never managed to bat above .287, and has missed an average of almost 33 games a year—a figure that would been more like 50 games a year, had baseball played a full season in 2020, when he would have had to miss the entire first half.  

I would say trade him. I have said trade him for several years now. But, with the Cashman Conundrum, you know and I know and the American people know that our balding, pudgy Boy Wonder of the front office will never get anything like comparable value for Judge.

But still: how are the next ten years going to go for what will be a constantly injured, constantly whiffing Aaron Judge—and the knowledge that he still get his hundreds of millions, while the people who served us everyday have had to go look for work?

13 comments:

The Archangel said...

This singular injustice thrown in the face of all "peon" NY workers could be the straw that breaks the camel's back of the love affair between Yankee fans and Judge;
Or it's just another brick in the wall.

I stand by my earlier comment that it would be better to trade him to a marginal contender outside of the AL East for some prospects than give him 30 or so mil a year for the next 8 years and then hear how his contract is preventing the Yanks form gettin other players.

el duque said...

Sometimes, maybe we should just ask ourselves, "What would Tampa do?"

And we all know the answer.

ZacharyA said...

I've never looked to athletes or celebrities for exemplary behavior or intelligence. Aaron Rogers, Aaron Judge, whoever being dumb jocks surprises me not in the slightest. I just assume all ballplayers are morons.

I'm far angrier at NYC political leadership who pushed everyday workers out of their livelihoods and then bent the knee to the rich and famous. Disgusting.

Doug K. said...

Aaron Judge the man killed all the joy of watching Aaron Judge the player. Trade him.



13bit said...

Ditch him.

13bit said...

It's about honesty, moral character and being a team player. This predates Adams. He's been a disingenuous guy for a while now and nothing can undo that for me. If he were a brand - and he is - he's tainted and no amount of PR can fix him.

Monetize him.

AboveAverage said...

. . . .and what of Derek? What of HIM? Will the Yunkee$ try to bring him back into the fold?

MJ said...

Why is everyone so pissed off at Judge for proving the hypocrisy of the politics behind all this bullshit? Christ, you people don't see or understand a hero when one MAYBE shows up. Because unless I've missed something he hasn't stated anything clearly either way about the vax. You've assumed his status. Have any one of you actually asked him? Has anyone except the darling media fuckheads (each of whom is DYING to make him the bad guy in this so as to slither themselves up a notch in the "gotcha" procession that poses as journalism now)done the slightest bit of work trying to actually find out if he got the jab? Nope. It's all assumptions. Fuck assumptions. Some of you mention "character" and "honesty." Seriously? You follow this business run by some of the most deeply-connected assholes ever born, and you think AARON JUDGE is the bad guy? Nowhere to go with this except to say give me a fucking break. If AJ is in the lineup on June 1st with 27 homers and 70 rbi's every single one of you will be cheering for him. Every one of you. Almost every one of you will say you won't. But you will. If you know yourself at all you know you will. The guy, if nothing else, has led you to a discovery of what's really behind this. Political intrigue, the exposure of trashcans wearing suits, payoffs to make a few "whole" while the rest stay fucked over. Aaron Judge, without saying anything clear, just showed you how easily it is to make that happen. And you blame him?

DickAllen said...



Except for one thing MJ: I won't be watching or listening.

After all this lockout nonsense and last minute negotiating and the nauseatingly incompetent job The Intern has done in helping the Twinkies sign Correa by taking Donaldson's 25MM off their books, and Harold once again bullshitting us with his annual "championship caliber team" speech, I'm not giving these motherfuckers one dime, thin or otherwise.

AND, who are you kidding? Judge tried to bullshit his way around the whole vax issue and I don't care if he did or not. Just man up and say so. Don't fucking tiptoe around like a teeny pussy.

Not saying anything one way or another is prevaricating. TO LIE: equivocate, fudge, palter, beguile, cozen, deceive, delude, dupe, fool, gull, hoax, hoodwink, kid, snow, take in, trick, falsify, misreport, misrepresent, misstate, distort, garble, dissemble, dissimulate, misguide, misinform, mislead.

Anyway, I don't care if he's vaxxed or not. The guy is practicing his political speak. There's a lot of money in the game he's playing. I'm still coming here every morning to my daily dose of bile (yours and mine), read the boxes, and check the highlights.

But give ANY of them money? Nope. Not any of mine. Not ever again. And it won't matter if he's an MVP or another IL candidate. Fuck them all. I just want my game back.

Hopefully the Yankees can make the same offer to the Canadian government they made to New York, you know, the one they couldn't refuse.



MJ said...

I agree completely, DickAllen. Judge was a candy-ass pussy. Can't imagine him as a teeny one, but...the jokes make themselves.

I'm not spending another penny on these assholes. College teams? High school teams? Pickup games on softball fields? I'll watch that and if they have something for sale I might buy it. The Major Leagues? The "organized" minor leagues? Not a fucking cent.

"I just want my game back." My sentiments too, sir.

And it's going to be fun to watch Canadian officials say no until they say yes. Fill enough pockets and shit gets done. Judge just sort of taught us that, if we didn't know already.

Kevin said...

Judge you have broken my heart. Short of you having a medical condition that precludes you getting a shot, you are dumping on your teammates, the fans, and your legacy. I never, ever would have believed what I am about what I am about to write. You have to go. Fredo, you never put yourself ahead of the Family.

13bit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HoraceClarke66 said...

And again: NOT to debate the whole vax issue.

But if Aaron Judge were to stand up like a man and say, "I don't think a vaccine is safe for me or others, and I won't do it," I would respect that. I would say he's wrong, but I would respect it."

He wouldn't do it.