Tuesday, March 8, 2022

"Dear MLB... You have succeeded in destroying your fan base..." Another reader weighs in

This comes from yet another IT IS HIGH reader. These are not form letters. These are angry messages from the heart. Send yours to 

publicrelations@mlb.com 

and copy me at hseely@twcny.rr.com. I'll print them. 


Dear PR Dept of MLB.

I was once in public relations on Madison Avenue. This was many moons ago and I was able to escape, but I understand what a difficult job it is to deal with public perceptions, implied endorsements and belief systems.

I was in product PR and some personal work for CEOs, but none of them were likeable. Not one of my clients was ever the sweet cream puff of a client that baseball is. Baseball, after all, is a beloved part of American, summoning fond memories of youth, family, friendship and generally better times. PR for baseball may not be a slam dunk - I know it's still work, what you do - but it's a pretty sweet subject. People WANT to love you.

So, that being said, I'm writing to voice my horror and disappointment with what the current ownership is doing to the game. The rule changes that they slipped in during our plague year are shameful. They do not speed up the game and nobody likes them. Baseball fans are leathery traditionalists. Those rule changes made us unhappy. We know it's just a business, but ownership in the old days would at least honor our history. Old Kennesaw Mountain Landis knew better than to mess with certain things.

FAR WORSE, though, is the current state of the "negotiations." We are not idiots. We know what's going on with the kabuki dance that this whole contract dance is. We are aware of the shameful pressure you're putting on the players. Most people I know have ZERO sympathy for the plutocrats who own the teams. Most people I know agree that baseball is losing a whole generation of young fans that they will NEVER GET BACK.

And most of us are mad as hell and not going to take it anymore. You have taken what I most loved about the game and flushed it down the toilet.

I am informing you here that I will not spend another penny on games, media, merchandise or anything else related to baseball. I'm going to cancel my cable and tell them exactly why I'm doing it. I'm going to not lend my time, money or allegiance to baseball until you have restored the dignity to the game and stopped toying with your most loyal supporters, the fans.

One day, you may come to regret alienating the fans. We will not be there, to turn on like a faucet, when you're ready to resume operations. I intend to publicize my stance to everyone I know and get them to stop supporting baseball, as well.

You have succeeded in destroying your fan base. You have made America's Game irrelevant.

Good luck with your PR careers.

(Name withheld by IIHIIFIIc) YANKEE FAN FOR LIFE, BASEBALL FAN NO MORE

2 comments:

Doctor T said...

Here, here! I'll sign that.

On a personal note - Thank god for softball! Keeps me in the game, long after I stopped caring about MLB baseball. It also keeps our kids (and our grandkids) in the game.

So not all hope is lost. Maybe we just need to get rid of the owners!

Unknown said...

Wow. Best one yet

*Yankees Shamus