Friday, March 26, 2021

At 31, for better or worse, Giancarlo Stanton is a full-time DH.

Apparently, the Death Barge will nix the infamous Jay Bruce option.

Barring last-minute injuries - always a possibility! - Bruce will miss the Yankee opening day roster and hit the Odd Lots & Dinged Merch market. From there, he'll be Kong in the last reel of the first King Kong Vs. Godzilla, swimming home to Japan, or Monster Island, or Gilligan's Island... whatever. The cries of Bruuuuuuce shalt not echo across Yankee Stadium (until the day You Know Who plays there.)

I believe Bruce's fate was sealed last week, when the brain trust ruled that Giancarlo Stanton would play absolutely no outfield this spring. Not one inning. Not one fly. Not even a Strat-o-Matic, or a photo op with a supermodel.

At age 31, Stanton is a fulltime DH. (Actually, this came about last year, at 30.) The Yankees say he might patrol LF in a National League park, but seriously, folks: Would they really risk sending him out to pasture in - say - a dozen games, with his characteristically lame defense and without any practice? They might as well paste him to a wall. He'll be a "Break Glass In Case of Emergency" fielder, used in 20-inning games and impossible scenarios, like when Tyler Wade pitches. My guess: Aaron Boone won't even let him try to steal a base. He'll pinch run Mike Tauchman, rather than stress test the Giancarlo hammy.

So... in case you're wondering... 

David Ortiz became a fulltime DH at age 28. 

Edgar Martinez did it at 32. 

Frank Thomas, 34. 

Jim Thome, 35. (He had those years in Phily, with no option.) 

If Stanton can last 10 years without bloating into Moby Turnip, he could follow his DH brothers into the Hall of Fame. He will be remembered as a hitter. That great season - his MVP year playing OF in Florida? That's dinosaur history. Stanton's roster spot meant the Yankees could not realistically keep Bruce - a veritable second DH. They needed Tauchman's versatility. (It didn't hurt that Tauchman also outhit Bruce in camp.)


One potential drawback to Stanton becoming a stone statue: If his bat goes south, the Yankees will have fewer salary dump options. The idea used go be that we might someday send Stanton's killer contact to a California team, to his family's roots. The Dodgers loomed as a likely mark candidate. Well, that's gone. Like Bruuuuuuuuuuuce.

7 comments:

JM said...

Just think. If Stanton and Judge can both hit 50 HR this year, there's no stopping us from the World Series.



Yeah, yeah, I know. I was laughing hysterically even as I typed it.

Anonymous said...

They should have traded this "Pavano" sibling about 3 years ago!

ranger_lp said...

Everything is fine until he pulls his hammy...then his quad...then his gluteus...

Local Bargain Jerk said...


JM: LOL

Ranger: ...then his oblique...

HoraceClarke66 said...

I agree: If Stanton and Judge each hit over 50 homers, the Yankees WILL win it all.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...


LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever