Monday, June 21, 2021

Tampa is crumbling, but the Yankees will have to handle Boston, personally

Suddenly deprived of their ace - Tyler Glasnow has a partial elbow tear, aka a "Tanaka" -the Rays have lost six straight and first place in the AL East. That puts Boston in command, with the Yankees visiting Fenway on Friday for three games.

July is near, the days are growing shorter, and it's time for a standardized character assessment test of the '21 Yankees. 

They must beat Boston in their evil lair and show that the zombie Yankees of the first three months have been effectively shot in the brain. Though the YES propaganda arm and the front office will claim this team is contending, there is ample time for the '21 Yanks' to show their signature move: Win a few games, and then give everything back.

But here's something we didn't see coming: A renewed Gary Sanchez bringing clutch hits and sound defense.

Let me repeat the offer of last week:

Mr. Sanchez, we will happily take back every disparaging word we've ever uttered about you, if you continue to play with smarts and spit. We recognize there will be slumps and bumps... just give us smarts and spit, that's all. Smarts and spit.

Among MLB catchers, Sanchez ranks 16th in average, fifth in HRs and  11th in RBIs. He is rising quickly. (In the last 15 games, hitting .313. In the last seven, .333.) Not since his comic book rookie half-season has he shown such positives. This appears to be due to an adjustment in his stance. If so, MLB pitchers will eventually adjust to his adjustment, and he'll need to readjust to their readjustment. But with Sanchez hitting, the Yankees replace a nearly nightly golden sombrero with an extra base threat. In close games - like the last five come-from-behind wins - the difference is incredible.

The last five victories have revived the team and the fan base. No longer does a game seem out of reach, if the opponent scores two in the first. Moreover, the Yankees drew nearly 28,000 on Sunday, about 4,000 more than each of the first two home games, since the Covid restrictions went poof. They now face a certifiable tomato can - the Royals are six games below .500 - a series they must win, if not sweep, to get within striking distance of the wild card.

Then the test comes Friday. It's time for the Yankees to make their move.

13 comments:

Carl J. Weitz said...

El Duque...this isn't your first rodeo with the Yankees. You're only setting yourself up for a huge emotional fall. You really should know better. By the time Independence Days rolls around you'll be rooting for the NY Tankees again.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Amen, Duque! We will gladly welcome Sancho back to the ranks of the living.

And don't forget, it wasn't just that rookie year. In 2017, Gary ran up 33 homers and 90 ribbies in just 122 games, batting .278 with an .876 OPS. He even delivered a big hit against Houston in the ALCS—and he threw out 38 percent of all runners—far above the league average of 27 percent.

Can he get back to that? I don't have a clue. But anything close to it would be an enormous boon. (Not to be confused with Aaron Boone.).

ranger_lp said...

New York Yankees optioned 1B Chris Gittens to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders.

Voit will be called up then...

TheWinWarblist said...

Time for the Yankees to make their move!? Duque, you are the funniest! I snorted my coffee out of my nose!

Anonymous said...

Everybody knows this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/14/yankees-spending-free-agency/

JM said...

We've tied the all-time season mark for triple plays, and it's not even July yet. That's impressive.

And Sanchez looks damn good. That's impressive.

And the outfield is taking shape without Hicks. That's a relief.

TheWinWarblist said...

Oh! I will add that I am never taking back anything I've ever said about ICS. Never.

Ever.

13bit said...

ICS is going to fuck all of you over. that's what head cases do. NEVER NEVER NEVER ever trust him or Chapo again. Mark my words.

Rufus T. Firefly said...

I will trust ICS.


...to pick an opportune moment, in which he will crush our hopes of a World Series trophy in a locker room he occupies as a teammate.

TheWinWarblist said...

I luvs you bitty!


It all started with a hurled brick ...

https://www.tomlennon.com/krazy-kat-started-brick/

Kevin said...

Duque, were you tapping into a quote from "Once Upon a Time in the West"? The greatest of Westerns. If so, yeah, you're right, but in a deeper sense.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...


LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever