Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Monday, June 18, 2012

Time to answer your questions on Juju

Dear el Duque, Most Supreme Juju/Oscar Mayer Lunchables Oracle,

Now and then, my team absolutely needs a base hit. I have tried many moves in the clutch, but nothing works. What should I do?
Can’t Buy a Hit
Atlanta


Dear Can’t Buy,
Timely juju is a huge problem for many young enthusiasts, who put up big numbers each season but cannot win the ring.

Frankly, you’re choking.

You’re letting the crowd on TV get to you. At times, you need to be “jujuing unconscious” out there. There’s no secret here. There’s no incantation. Simply stay focused.

You could be overthinking. Try chewing gum. Are you getting loose before each game? You can’t just come into a situation cold. You’ll tear a hammy. Clear your mind of unnecessary debris, such as work, family and personal relationships. Concentrate on the game. The hits will come.

el Duque

 ...
Dear El Duque,
I have never seen the Yankees win a game. Really. Every time I watch, they lose. Every time. I don’t know what to do, but I have been following the team for 20 years, without ever seeing a victory. Is there hope?
Hopeful
Schenectady


Dear Hopeful,
Pluck out your eyes.
el Duque   

No comments: