Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Friday, June 15, 2012

Waiting for Gardo


RAUL: What was that? I think I saw his presence. I think I saw his face. Is it him? It must be him.

ANDRUW: You saw a shadow in the lights, nothing more.

RAUL: But it came from the direction of Trenton. It was him, and he was near. He is coming. Of that, I am certain.

ANDRUW: Certainty? What is certainty? Is a first-round pick certain? Is a warm breeze certain? Nothing is certain, aside from Dewayne Wise.

RAUL: My legs grow tired of standing here. We are out in left field. We are old. Surely, he is coming to relieve us, right?

ANDRUW: They said he was coming. But I do not know.

RAUL: Wait! What was that? It was the sound of a bus, a big bus moving along the New York State Thruway. Could it be the bus that is bringing him?

ANDRUW: It is just a bus, like any bus. And he is said to still be from the place where no one goes, the place called Scranton. 

RAUL: So what should we do? I cannot stand here forever. We were designated as a hitters. We cannot climb fences. We cannot dive for shoestrings. What should we do?

ANDRUW: Pound your glove. We must wait. He must be coming.

RAUL: (Pounding his glove.) Yes, surely, he is coming. If we are patient, he will come.

2 comments:

Moe Berg said...

what an imagination! still, no match for originality of the rivalometer.

jdp said...

Alfonso Soriano or Jeff Francouer?