Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Is this the year of juju-tortured big toes?

Thus far in 2016, Brian McCann has been the Yankees' best hitter. Last night, his sixth inning HR tied the game, putting to rest any sick reminders of 2014 and 2015 - Yankee teams that could not score in the late innings.

If last night's game had happened in September, it would be one of the great Yankee victories of 2016. As it turns out, it's the game that Brian McCann didn't break his big toe.

The juju gods have declared a cruel jihad against the otherwise jolly-looking, slug-like foot thumb:

Yankee big toes face being clipped in the cross-hairs of fate.

Last night, in the fifth, McCann fouled a ball off his big toe. It hurt like a somebitch. He spent the rest of the game fearing it was broken, an injury that could wreck his season. Just three weeks ago, the Yankees' best pitching surprise of camp, Bryan Mitchell, jammed his big toe while covering first. With luck, he'll be back in July.

WTK, juju gods? Big toes? Guys named Brian? Haven't you something more important to do?

The Yankees won last night through smart play - a crucial bunt from Didi, (our best player?) - and a lock-down bullpen. Last year, Girardi went to his best bullpen arms the way an alcoholic goes to the Jim Beam. By September, everybody was shredded. If our starters cannot get us into the seventh, it might happen again. In the meantime, let's celebrate a great April victory and hope 2016 isn't the year we get big-toed up the wazzoo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MAN, IS THIS FUN OR WHAT?....I DON'T WANT TO GET TOO EXCITED ALREADY, BUT I HAVE NOTICED SOMETHING DIFFERENT WITH THIS TEAM...I DON'T KNOW WHO GETS CREDIT FOR IT, (GIRARDI?, COACH COCKRELL?)....BUT SUDDENLY, THIS TEAM IS SHOOTING THE BALL THE OTHER WAY, (I NOTICED-TEX, AND MCCANN HAVE DONE IT IN MULTIPLE GAMES), SACRIFICE BUNTING, AND MAKING CRUCIAL CONTACT GETTING SAC FLIES......I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THIS COULDN'T BE DONE THE LAST 3 YEARS, BUT MAYBE WATCHING THE ROYALS DO IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN THE LAST 2 YEARS SUNK INTO OUR MANAGEMENT.......WATCHING US WIN, AND THE RED SOX, AND METS STRUGGLE, HAS BEEN A DREAM SO FAR....PLEASE DON'T PINCH ME.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...

I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.