Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Saturday, April 21, 2018

I. Don't. Care. About. The. Passed. Balls.

Look. You put a six-two guy behind home plate, and have him catch pitchers who specialize in bouncing balls in the dirt?

There are going to be passed balls. That's just the way it is.

What I want out of Gary Sanchez?

I want him to go all Tommy Lee Jones on their ass.

I watched that fifth inning. As remarked, it seemed to take about three days, as Domingo looked scared to death against a bunch of truly mediocre Blue Jays hitters.

I didn't care so much about the couple of Sanchez passed balls.

What I needed was for Gary to run out to German, who frankly looked scared to death, and get in his face and tell him:

"Son? Did you like the way the clubhouse boy carried your gear to your locker when you arrive? Did you like the free massage, and the after-game meal, and all that crap? You did? And you didn't miss the 32-hour Triple-A bus ride?

"Good. So why don't you get out there and pitch like you mean it? Why don't you try throwing like you're not scared to death? Here, I have the actors from the start of that Johnny Cash movie. They're here to say, hey, if you have one inning to pitch before you die, let's see it.

"Let's not see some wimpy-ass pitch on 0-2 that a hitter nobody's ever hear of can hit into right for a run. Let's not see you walk in a run because you're scared to death.

"Let's see you pitch like a gawd-damned MAN, son!  Just for once. Just this time."

In my opinion, when Gary Sanchez is capable of this, then he will be a great catcher.

In the meantime...this is what it's all about. It accounts for a bunch of the errors, I'm sure—all these scared little boys, slowing the game down until the fielders lose their concentration. It's why we can't win a damned thing.

Get out there and act like a man. Very simple, really.





3 comments:

JM said...

Damn straight, HC. Damn straight.

Steve Miller said...

A-frigging-men

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.