Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Monday, April 9, 2018

Could Aaron Boone be our Bobby Valentine?

Well, it didn't take long, did it? One week, and I've seen enough. I officially hate this team. We can't manufacture a run. We can't hold a lead. We can't go a day without an injury. Boston looms on the deathly hell-red horizon, and it wouldn't surprise me if this team gets swept - no, I prefer it be humiliated, no!, I want this overpaid, swing-and-miss, cancerous excuse for a team to be hijacked to Scranton, NO! Nanticoke, because Scranton is too classy, and I hope they eat bad scrapple, or whatever people eat in Nanticoke, and throw up on the bus and have the driver refuse to pull over so players can breathe fresh air. I hate this team. Juju gods, do your worst! Send the IBS lady! Send John Bolton!

I'm starting to think what last month seemed impossible: 

That Aaron Boone is our Bobby Valentine. 

Remember 2012? The year after Boston fired Terry Francona, because they were eating fried chicken in the dugout and missed the playoffs by collapsing? They installed Bobby V to impose a new clubhouse discipline, and they spent the off-season congratulating themselves for building the super team, the AL East faves. Carl Crawford! Adrian Gonzalez! Jacoby Ellsbury! By July, they were dumping vets in garage sales. Sixty-nine wins. Last in the division. 

Listen: It can happen here.

Don't think otherwise.

Today, the only thing we have going for us is the sheer level of incompetence on display. It's borderline impossible. How can Giancarlo Stanton be THIS horrible? I mean, NOBODY can be THIS bad, right? it's almost superhuman bad. He's already invented a new sombrero - platinum - and done it twice. One more, and he'll have a golden sombrero of platinum sombreros, something that surely no other player in history has attained. He's already been openly dissed by an opposing manager - Buck walked Judge to pitch to him - and it worked. Can we actually be this bad? A week into the season, and our left fielder is Jace Peterson? Seriously? Seriously?

Boston is preparing to crush us, and part of me says, yeah, okay, bring it on! This team may have made the cardinal mistake of believing its press clippings (much of which is generated by team-owned sources.) A rookie manager does such things, and it's no longer a certainty that Aaron Boone will last to the all-star break. 

Everything about the 2018 Yankees was predicated on winning this year, not building down the road. Boone is pooh-poohing the doubts, saying everything is all right, and I suppose he has no other choice, but it can happen here, folks. You think there are safeguards. You think there are protections. You think sanity will win in the end. Think again IT CAN HAPPEN HERE. IT CAN HAPPEN HERE.

9 comments:

ranger_lp said...

Not going to happen. MLB has changed drastically since then. Analytics say that the Yanks will turn things around. Cash is happy with Boone. Cash is happy with anyone that goes along with big data.

Now, we can argue about where we get our data. If we got the data from the same company that the Red Sox uses....and they are from the Boston area...lol

JM said...

Am I hallucinating, or didn't we do this last year? Or was that the year before? Lousy starts make the seasons blend together.

Urban Farmer formerly known as DutchFan said...

It night be a lousy start on our way to 91 wins, we must not overestimate the Socks just because they are 9-1. I mean when you start the season Rays, Miami, Rays you are likely to be looking good.

By the way, heard the master talk about this too yesterday.

Vampifella said...

Has anybody been paying attention to Ohtani? He's making the Stanton consolation prize look like a huge whammy. But then again he'd have a 12 ERA and on the disable list with a Tommy John with the Yanks...

Anyway the Sucks played against the worst of Florida and any team should be 8-1 against that lot. We'll see how they do with the worst of New York. I'm expecting a real mess.

Ken of Brooklyn said...

@ John M, I was trying to remember the same thing? I think it was last year, and when I stopped listening for a week or so everything turned around late April/May ,,,,, I'm implementing my same passive aggressive NuJuju tomorrow, let's see if my dumb ass intervention works!

Yesterday was beyond BRUTAL, a slower more inevitable pineapple is just too hideous to fathom!

HoraceClarke66 said...

Yeah, Ohtani looks great, much to my surprise and chagrin.

Still, there's nobody to blame there—drat!—since Cashman & Co. were willing to pursue him in a big way. It's not your fault if you do your due diligence and the guy just doesn't want to come to New York.

Brandon Drury, on the other hand...

Anonymous said...

Baboon is incompetent

Half the team injured ao he rests his best player? Bizarre!

Yanks are 7 outs away from win& tying run gets on base & he chooses German over Chapman&Green.

Bizarre

You shd at least HV minor league experience before being a major league mgr

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I feel compelled to agree with anonymous, above: Ma Boone (aka, Baboon) IS incompetent: the way he yanks starters early, even though preaching longevity from the starters, the way he uses relievers in potentially long games for ONE inning only, even if they through only five pitches to get three outs the inning before - - that is, unless they are un-tested rookies - - in which case, they get left in until they fail colossolly - - could there BE a more direct recipe for failure?? If so, I don't want to know about it - - and I don't want any more whole, refreshing, PAINFUL pineapples.

Couldn't Cash-Puss have found someone equally compliant, but with at least SOME managerial experience?? LB (No J)

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.