Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

And now we return you to our showing of "Young Cashman!"

A FAN staggers out of Yankees Stadium, looking bruised and battered. An ungodly noise is coming out of the Stadium behind him.

The FAN spots BRIAN CASHMAN, smiling vacantly by the executive parking lot, and approaches him.

FAN: I want you to tell me something, and no matter what the answer is, I will NOT be angry!

CASHMAN: Sure, anything.

FAN: When you went to trade for Giancarlo Stanton, was there any kind of scouting report, anything on him at all, that made you think twice?

CASHMAN: Well, just a line that read, 'Can't hit Snider.' But why worry about that? Duke Snider retired decades ago, and anyway, he wasn't a pitcher.

FAN: (awareness slowly dawning) 'Can't hit Snider.' You sure it didn't say something else? Like 'Can't hit slider?'

CASHMAN: (shrugging) Well, what if did? I don't know any Slider in this league.

FAN: (through gritted teeth, as he closes in on the GM) Not Slider a person...slider the pitch!

CASHMAN: (still blithely unaware) Oh, maybe so. Yeah, I guess that's what it was.

FAN: Are you telling me that you committed 11 years and at least $265 million to a man who can't hit a breaking ball???!!!

The FAN's hands reach for CASHMAN's throat. They grapple. In the background, the screams from the Stadium have become bloodcurdling.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

THEY ARRESTED ME THAT NIGHT HOSS.

Anonymous said...

I'd'a been with you, All-Caps, if I hadn't been laid up, 1000 miles to the west, having pineapple shards being picked outta' my backside. LB (No J)

HoraceClarke66 said...

Really, I have to apologize to Giancarlo.

It was reported today that, before he got his two meaningless hits up in Fenway, he was struck out on high fastballs. So I guess he can't hit those, either. My bad.

BernBabyBern said...

After last night, I need a sed-a-give ...

Local Bargain Jerk said...


I need a sed-a-give

Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

HoraceClarke66 said...

The object of my satire exactly!

"Oh, sweet mystery of life at last I've found you!"

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.