Friday, March 7, 2008

Our man in Tampa: Alphonso's photo blog day II


Following Wednesday's visit to Legends Field, Alphonso continues his research into the real legends -- the 2008 Grapefruit Yankees.

Thursday, he continued his wide-eyed journey into the jaws of hell and files his

Daily Grapefruit Photo Blog.


THURSDAY

7:45 a.m. Heavens to Betsy! What a thrill, emerging from my hotel room to find the good citizens of Tampa bidding me tribute!



8:55 a.m. I saunter over to the hotel pool and can't believe my luck. I'm staying at the same place as the Yanks! It's great to see Andy Pettitte kicking back and feeling sporty about himself again.



9:25 a.m. Andy takes me into the lobby, where I meet ageless catcher Jose Molina and his beaufiful family.

10:15 a.m. Hey! A-Rod is there too, along with his personal trainer, Tiki.



11:00 a.m. After A-Rod, Tiki and me get to talking, Tiki takes me up to A-Rod's suite to show me the coveted 2007 Most Valuable Player trophy.





11:05 a.m. Back in the lobby, some extremely attractive young ladies seem to be looking to "wrap themselves around" and "snare" a Yank star.

1:11 p.m.: After lunch, everybody is, as Hidek' Matsui would say, "chillin'." Then -- wouldn't you know it! -- who shows up but disgraced trainer and all-time downer Brian McNamee.


1:45 a.m. With McNamee around, I figure chief steroid and butt prober George Mitchell can't be far. I slip down to the front desk, and, sure enough, there he is.




4:10 p.m. McNamee and Mitchell are here to shakedown "sources" in their ongoing probe. They've got their eyes on some of our younger pitching prospects, up from Scranton.




4:50 p.m. For a while, I worry about a fistfight. Fortunately, The Captain shows up, and somebody shouts, "Hey, let's go sailing!" And so we do!



3 comments:

BernBabyBern said...

The weird thing about the Jose Molina picture is that he's the one on the far left.

Anonymous said...

El Duque,

Arrived in Tampa after major rain delay. Forecast for today's game was rain as well. However, semi blue skies are in evidence.
I think we are going to play.

Checked out Legends field by 10:00am, after eggs home fries, bacon and coffee at IHOP.

Lots of Yankee fans already wandering around the stadium grounds. I vomited on a red sox fan before deplaning. I felt much better afterwards.

Dinner last night at Don Shula's steak house. Told waiter that John Sterling was my Dad, and we charged the meal to his room.

I do not have live broadcast abilities, so I will be filing reports in this site....with my picture...... for remainder of scouting trip.

Ran into Edwar and B. Bruney at Penthouse Club late last night...wearing bunny ears ( wrong club?). Brian does look as though he is in better shape than last season....about 2-3 pounds less.

Edwar has lost weight as well, must go about 110 now. He is learning to speak chinese.

Hope to see some "A" prospects today.

On the Road with good friend and ballplayer from elementary school.

Anonymous said...

During your inspections, don't forget to look closely at the players' teeth. Bad teeth can kill a career.