Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Saturday, July 21, 2018

And the lonely voice of the Yankiverse asks, "Where is Justus?"

Last night, after being embarrassed at home, the Empire banished Domingo German to Coal Country, and unless he gains command of his fastball, we won't see him again until the rosters explode in September. Next up will be Luis Cessa, looking to fill the widening sinkhole otherwise known as the Yankee pitching rotation. And at some point soon, some form of trade deadline Judgement Day might move German, or someone like him, to Texas or Toronto for a veteran tin can, such as JA Happ or Cole Hamels. 

An exciting outlook, no?

We are now 5-and-1/2 games behind Boston, and one bad road trip from reducing the rest of the season to chasing home field advantage in the Wild Card game.

Comrades, this is the most dire situation we've yet faced in 2018. 

We have only one - one - truly dependable starter. We have a "star" catcher who can't seem to raise his average above .200. We're on the verge of losing a weekend series to the Misery Mets. Boston keeps winning, and the days are getting shorter.

Oh, and one other thing... Down in Scranton, with an ERA of 2.53, our best pitching prospect is twiddling his thumbs, awaiting the phone call that will change his life. Across the Yankiverse, fans are clamoring for Justus Sheffield, the 22-year-old lefty, while the Yankees dick around with David Hale (now headed to Japan), AJ Cole, or anyone else who fills out a jersey. What gives?

Okay, look: I certainly don't know more than the Yankee pitching coaches and scouts. So don't bite off my nose. Obviously, the brain trust doesn't think Sheffield is ready. That, or Cooperstown Cashman intends to trade him, perhaps for another of Cash's legendary "power" arms, who are always fraying. I dunno. There has to be a reason. But in his last Triple A game, Sheffield went 5 and 1/3 innings, gave up one run and struck out seven. He's pitching well. He hasn't had a clunker start since June 2. What more does he need to prove?  

We have a steadily sinking barge for a rotation, and the best prospect in our entire system is knocking on the door. We are about to make a series of trades that could reshape not only the current roster, but the long-term future of this team. I wish somebody could tell us what the hell is going on. My fear: That person doesn't exist. 

4 comments:

TheWinWarblist said...

So endeth the JuJu.

Anonymous said...

HOW ABOUT JUSTUS STARTING ANY ONE OF THESE GAMES AGAINST THE METS, AT HOME?

IT WOULD ENERGIZE THE CROWD, AND POSSIBLY SPRINGBOARD SHEFFIELD'S CONFIDENCE WITH A DECENT OUTING.

WE'RE TALKING THE METS HERE.

.....BUT NO.

WE HAD TO STICK WITH THE FIRST INNING FUCKER WHO TAKES US OUT OF THE GAME INSTANTLY.

I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND COMING BACK AFTER THE ALL STAR BREAK AND USING OUR WORST STARTER.

FIRST GAME BACK FROM THE BREAK AND THE FIRST 3 PITCHERS WE USED YESTERDAY WERE GERMAN, WARREN, AND SHREVE.

NICE WAY TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE ALL STAR BREAK "REST".

Ken of Brooklyn said...

ALLAPS,
You've soooooooooo accurately described my despair, especially with your laser focused rant last night!
This entire month has been dreadful, even many of the wins have felt a little nauseating. Listening to the Yankees of late, it's like the feeling I get when I pay my taxes, I know I NEED to do it, but it's so just damn aggravating, and depressing.

Awaiting the word from high command at IIHIIFIIC for an International JuJu Intervention, be it Reverse JuJu, Double Reverse JuJuJuJu, or Pig Latin UjUjay JuJu,,,,,,

So endeth the JuJu INDEED!

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.