Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

The All-Time Yankees Tournament Semifinals: 1998 vs. 1947

Which of these teams will face the 1951 Yankees in the Greatest World Series Ever? (I'd trademark that, but I doubt MLB would let me.) 

Click below to find out:

Game 1: 1998 wins, 4-3, 10 innings

High drama in the opener, as Bernie Williams leads off the bottom of the 10th by putting a 3-1 pitch from Joe Page into the seats and giving the 1998 team a 1-0 series lead. Tommy Henrich started the scoring by blasting a 2-run HR in the top of the first off David Cone, and Joe DiMaggio added a solo shot in the third. Chuck Knoblauch answered with a solo shot in the bottom of the third against Bobo Newsome, and '98 added another run in the fifth when Knoblauch tripled and came in on a Chad Curtis sac fly. Jorge Posada tied the game in the bottom of the eighth with an RBI double to set up Williams' 10th-inning heroics. Mariano Rivera pitched 2 innings for the win.

Game 2: 1947 wins, 10-9

The most bizarre game of the series. The 1998 team had a 7-2 lead heading into the 9th inning, but the '47 team plated 8 runs in the top of the 9th against starter Orlando Hernandez and reliever Ramiro Mendoza. Charlie Keller started the scoring in the ninth with a 1-out, 2-run HR, and after the '47 team loaded the bases with 2 outs, Yogi Berra hit a 2-run double to make it 7-6. Ramiro Mendoza then relieved Hernandez (Why he was still in the game at that point is beyond me. Maybe Grady Little designed the game's AI?) and proceeded to give up singles to pinch-hitter George Quinn and Aaron Robinson and a double to Snuffy Stirnweiss to make it a 10-7 game before finally getting out of the inning. Tino Martinez, Chuck Knoblauch and Chili Davis homered for the '98 Yankees, while Charlie Keller and Tommy Henrich homered for 1947.

Game 3: 1998 wins, 7-5, 12 innings

Another nailbiter. Trailing 7-5 heading into the 9th, Derek Jeter rips a 1-out, 2-run double off Joe Page to tie the game and send it into extra innings. Then, in the top of the 12th, Tino Martinez doubles in Paul O'Neill to break the tie, and Chad Curtis adds an RBI double for an insurance run. Randy Gumpert took the loss for 1947, Jeff Nelson got the win by pitching 2 scoreless innings. Curtis drove in 3 runs for '98, while Johnny Lindell had 3 hits (including a home run) and 3 RBIs for 1947.

Game 4: 1947 wins, 7-2

The '47 team put up 5 runs in the 7th inning off Andy Pettitte, sparked by a 2-run single by Tommy Henrich and a 2-run double by Joe DiMaggio. Bill Bevins pitched a complete-game 6-hitter to get the win, while Pettitte allowed 10 hits and 6 runs in 6.2 innings before giving way to Graeme Lloyd. Snuffy Stirnweiss added 2 RBIs for 1947, while Paul O'Neill had three hits, including a home run, for 1998.

Game 5: 1998 wins, 5-4

More ninth-inning heroics by Derek Jeter. With the 1998 team down 4-3, the Captain hit a one-out, 2-run single off Bobo Newsome to put his team ahead. David Cone tossed a complete game, scattering 8 hits (Why was Mariano not brought in? Who knows?) Chad Curtis had 2 hits and scored twice for '98, while Joe DiMaggio had a solo home run for 1947.

Game 6: 1947 wins, 10-4

The 1947 Yankees pound out 16 hits to force a Game 7. Aaron Robinson has a home run and 3 RBIs and Snuffy Stirnweiss drove in a pair. Tommy Henrich and Joe DiMaggio both continued their strong series, hitting solo home runs. Spud Chandler allow 9 hits and 4 runs over 7.2 innings, but it was enough for the win. Orlando Hernandez was roughed up again, allowing 5 runs in 6.2 innings, and Ramiro Mendoza was tagged for 3 more runs in 1.1 innings. 

Game 7: 1998 wins, 6-2

Once again, the 1998 Yankees win a Game 7. David Wells comes through, tossing a complete game, allowing 7 hits, 2 runs and striking out 7. Down 2-0 after the second inning, Shane Spencer hit a solo HR in the bottom of the third and Jorge Posada hit a 2-run HR in the fourth to give '98 a 3-2 lead, and Bernie Williams added a 2-run triple in the fifth to give the team some insurance runs.. Williams singled in Derek Jeter in the 7th the finish off the scoring.

So the 1998 team heads to the finals, although it has been pushed to 7 games in each round. The computer gave Joe DiMaggio the MVP of the series (once again, an MVP from the losing team) after he hit .462 with 3 HRs and 6 RBIs. For the 1998 team, Bernie Williams had a pair of HRs and 6 RBIs. 

The 1998 team advances to the final round against the 1951 squad. Mickey and Joe against Jeter and Mo. 

Here's the updated bracket:





6 comments:

HoraceClarke66 said...

That is one, wild and whacky computer.

ranger_lp said...

Can Joe D. hit Mo? We'll find out....

Local Bargain Jerk said...


Can Joe D. hit Mo?

Ranger, that's the greatest Zen koan I've ever seen. Beats hell out of "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"

I'll be staring deep within myself, pondering that for hours...

el duque said...

Amazing series.

Our artificial intelligence reality has ruled.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...


LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever