Sunday, March 1, 2020

What is the Over-Under on Judge/Stanton in 2020?

Remember the halcyon days of spring, 2018?  Could it really have been just two years ago?

At the time, we were speculating about what the over/under on Judge and Stanton's home run totals should be.  Why just the summer before, the two big guys had compiled 111 home runs between them.

Hitting together, surely the new Twin Towers would exceed that number, even break the all-time, Yankee Duo mark of 115 set by Mantle and Maris in 1961.

Well, we all know how that worked out.  They combined for all of 65 home runs in 2018 and 30 last year.  Given that rate of decline, the over/under should be 14 for this season, which I think is an even-money bet.

I wish both men well, particularly Judge.  But I have to say, looking at our young, agile lineup, sprinkled with lefties and righties headed into this season, I can't honestly say I'm going to miss either one.

Stanton, a guy who has no good idea of the strike zone and that bizarre swing?  Who can't even play the outfield?

Judge, a much better all-around ballplayer, but still a 6-7, 280-pound behemoth ridiculously misplaced in the No. 2 spot in the order, whose strike zone the umps still can't figure out?

Frankly, I can do without another season of the 363 strikeouts they managed to combine on, in the 270 games they did manage to play in 2018.  Five-and-a-half strikeouts, that is, for every home run.
 
(Mantle and Maris, incidentally, had 179 strikeouts to go with those 115 home runs in the 314 games they played in 1961.  Ruth and Gehrig had 173 Ks to go with their 107 homers in 306 games back in 1927.)

I won't miss the weird, baffled look on Stanton's face after he misses another baseball, like a man who's just seen a ghost.  The pained expression on Judge's mien as he walks back to the dugout having just been called out on another pitch around his ankles.

No thanks.  I can do without "Three true outcomes" baseball, and am looking forward to athletes who can actually run, leap, and stretch again.

Today happens to be the 50th anniversary of the day that fabulous invalid, The Mick, hung up his spikes.  Despite a stunning assortment of injuries, he had managed to play 2,401 games, the most as a Yankee by any man, until Derek Jeter finally passed him.

To reach that number of total games in their careers, Stanton, now 30, would have to play seven seasons of a full, 162 games.  Judge, 27, would have to play 12 such seasons.

Neither man is going to come close to that.  Best we move on now.



2 comments:

Parson Tom said...

51 year anniversary. Mantle retired in 1969.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...



I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.