Monday, May 12, 2008

Feeling Elliot Johnson's Good Vibrations in Durham

Back in Durham (AAA) after a .158 cup of coffee in Tampa, Elliot Johnson didn't bowl over any Yankee catchers today, but he did hit a long homer to right field in a 9-1 win over Syracuse.

Johnson went 2-4 with a dinger and 4 RBI, raising his AAA average to .224 in a 9-1 win.

More importantly, he gave the crowd of 5,596 (including me) a chance to party on the positive side, because his "at-bat" music is none other than Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch's Good Vibrations! (#2 on the Norwegian singles chart in 1991.)

After his third plate appearance, I heard the following conversation in the stands....

College Girl # 1: Do you think the players get to pick their own music?

College Girl # 2: Yeah, I think so.

CG1: (laughs) 'Cause this guy is playing Marky Mark!

CG2: Yeah, what a loser!!

Well said, College Girl # 2. Well said.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there, too. You work for BA? Syracuse beat writer?

Anyway, I was sitting behind the great catch by the Syracuse right fielder (Wayne somebody).

Their center fielder sucks, btw.

The crew I was with enjoyed Elliot's walk-up music, too. What a sad man.

I'm Bill White said...

I wish I were a Syracuse beat writer. Know anyone?

Anonymous said...

No, but if you work for the Herald-Sun, I'd want out, too. And fast.

Have a great day.