Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I Did Not Know This

Researching The Voice for my new role as Lou Gehrig to El Duque's Wally Pipp--OK, not researching exactly, just lazily browsing his Wikipedia entry--I was surprised to learn the Hertz 24/7 Broadcast Booth significance of "Zombie Jamboree," a Calypso song popularized a million years ago by Harry Belafonte. Here are just a few of its many, many lyrics:

It was a Zombie Jamboree
Took place in a New York cemetery
Zombies from all parts of the Island
Some of them was a great Calypsonians
Although the season was Carnival
We get together in bacchanal
And they singing
Back to back, belly to belly
I don't give a damn, I done dead already
Oho back to back, belly to belly
At the Zombie Jamboree
I had thought that Sterling invented the phrase to punish me. As I near the end of my sixth decade, it's nice to know there are references I'm still too young to get.

* * *
Meanwhile, in baseball, Texas fans and Joe Nathan are blaming the ump.


YOU COULD LOOK IT UP: Texas seceded from Mexico because Mexico abolished slavery.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Didn't notice the Rangers blaming the umps when Nunez was called out at second base the previous night, a blatantly blown call. My fantasy: bench-clearing brawl in which Nolan Ryan jumps on the field. Girardi gets him in a headlock and delivers two black eyes to Mr. Ryan. And by the way, if you look at the full footage of Ryan's fight with Robin Ventura, the latter wins. Check out the last part where Ventura throws Ryan to the ground and stomps him. You'll see an unbowed Ventura at the end and a genuinely roughed up Nolan Ryan huffing & puffing. The Rangers stink. Period. Love that the Athletics embarrased them in Game 162 last year.

JM said...

Best news I've seen since Grandy's broken pinky: Luis Cruz is headed for the DL.

The Yanks will 'likely' call up David Adams. He's no Brooks Robinson, but he's better than Cruz. I think he can hit .200!

Whoo!

Rex Reed said...

glad to see you are stepping up your game in your substitute role.

el duque said...

We won?

I'm in a weird time zone. It should be morning. It's evening. Keep in mind, this blog is my only access to what the Yankees did.

We won?

Stang said...

We won, Duque, 5-4. From the mlb.com account:

'Down to their final two outs, the Yankees sparked to life as Vernon Wells worked a five-pitch walk, then trotted to second base as Nathan stumbled mid-delivery and uncorked a wild pitch to the backstop.

'Nunez then slugged a deep drive to the center-field wall, scoring Wells easily. As he rounded second base, Nunez started to think about an inside-the-park homer and lost his footing himself, eventually belly-flopping awkwardly -- but safely -- into third base.

'"I was looking at the ball, and I thought it could be a home run," said Nunez, who was razzed loudest by Robinson Cano and Derek Jeter for his lack of grace. "I thought too much."

'That brought up Lillibridge, who had committed a fielding error at third base that opened the door for a four-run Rangers sixth inning. Lillibridge took advantage of his chance, lining a bullet into left field that gave the Yankees the lead.'

Box score: http://atmlb.com/15fM3QE

Stang said...

Why did I do that? If Duque has internet enough to come here, he has internet enough to go to River Ave Blues. Why am I such an idiot?

KD said...

obviously, duque is too busy with Aunt Edna to do much web surfing.

Aunt Edna said...

Duque! Duque! Where did you tether my dog?

Vladimir Putin said...

Dear American Capitalist Stooges: As you may (or may not) know, we are hosting El Duque at Sheremetyevo International Airport (Шереметьево) because of this misunderstanding regarding his relationship with the Biogenesis Clinic in Miami. We are, for his protection, limiting his internet access.

joe de pastry said...

He thought he could.
He thought he CoulD.
He thought he COULD.
And then he DID!
GWRBI!!
LITTLEBRIDGE!!!

Now, let's get A-Fraud back as the DH for as long as possible, and, contrary to John M., get Grandy back in to replace the decrepit Suzuki, and we may hear back-to-back, belly-to-belly, Thhhuuuhhh Yankees Win!!!!, again soon.