Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Yanks Remain One Game Out


I missed yesterday's game because Pukilis was scheduled to play.

All I did this morning was drink a quick bloody mary with a huge tablespoon of horseradish and glance at the standings.

We either won or everyone lost, because we are still only one game out.

I knew that Day 2 would bring us redemption.  This may be a quirky line-up, but our blend of age and youth along with a bench any one would sell their first born to possess, gives me a good feeling every day.  I don't care who we are playing.

We can almost count on scoring two runs no matter who is pitching against us.

And, in a larger sense, who amonst us would not eagerly buy into the following phrase:

"  If we are only one game out come September 23rd, I'll gladly take it ?" So all appears well, even though it is early.

A couple of queries about yesterday's match-up:

Did Nunez get any hits?  Who pitched?  I think it was Kuroda's turn but I am a little foggy today.  Andy goes tonight?  Dandy Andy?

I've got poker club tonight, so I'm not sure they will even let me listen on radio.  Send texts if Pukey gets beaned or breaks something.

Thx.

Go Yanks.  This is our Year!


14 comments:

KD said...

First game tonight and I am so anxious. Will parking be more than $30? Will a regular beer break the $10 barrier? Will a stadium hot dog finally reach $7? Did Joba call an exterminator to remove that caterpillar from his lip?

Joe Girardi, Manager of the 27-time World Champion New York Yankees said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Alphonso. It means a lot. About this Bloody Mary in the morning, though. Try a spoonful of granola, three leaves of kale, and two caplets of fish oil. Then work out for about three hours, grunting as often as possible. You might also think about putting braces on your teeth. Gotta go and pump iron with the rookies. Best Regards to you, pal. You're lookin' good in that photo.

el duque said...

Today, the Yankees have a shot at reaching the magical .500 mark.

JM said...

I can't add to these comments. They're too good. I'll just laugh.

Joe Girardi, Manager of the 27-time World Champion New York Yankees said...

Great to hear from you, too, John. Hope you are planning to be at the Stadium tonight. Plenty of good seats available (see the photo posted by Mustang). If you have a chance, before the game come down to the dugout. I got you a complimentary one-week membership at my gym (I work out at the Stadium AND at the neighborhood gym) and an autographed 8x10 photo of Vernon Wells! I really appreciate how the contributors to IIHIIFIIc have been keeping up the morale of Yankee fans across the nation. I'm also trying to arrange for a surprise (shhhh!) birthday gift for El Duque. Lyle Overbay has autographed a jersey (well, it's a Blue Jays jersey, but it's the thought that counts, right?) for him. Anyway, come on down to the Stadium tonight. I can't guarantee we will win, but I promise we'll look sharp in those pinstripes.

el duque said...

I wouldn't set foot in that dugout without wearing a Kevlar jacket and a condom.

Joe Girardi, Manager of the 27-time World Champion New York Yankees said...

Understood, Duque. Youkilis is in charge of distributing the Kevlar, and Cashman hands out the condoms (and Brian's got more condoms than a clown at a kid's birthday party has balloons). Great pitching matchup tonight, and PLENTY OF SEATS AVAILABLE!

JM said...

I appreciate the offer, Joe, but I've had a cold for 3 weeks now and I don't think the night air would be a good idea.

Glad to see that you're staying positive! Up with people, kumbaya, and pass the Kool Aid, my man!

Joe Girardi, Manager of the 27-time World Champion New York Yankees said...

You're right, John. A man's health is his top priority. However, this Vernon Well's photo will be worth $$$ when he gets the AL MVP award next winter! Keep up that attitude of gratitude. You may have a cold, but half these guys we signed at the last minute have undiagnosed STDS. That happens when you play winter ball.

el duque said...

It's Overbay Night in NYC!

Lyle Overbay said...

Hey! Does that mean Lyle Overbay bobble-heads for all fans over 90 years of age?

el duque said...

It means Lyle is going to hit a home run and make all of us who were critical of him feel stupid. And I'm hoping for that.

joe de pastry said...

Hey, if we get swept in this series by the red sux, remember we started in '98 by losing our first three, also.

Anonymous said...

1898?